HELP....... Polyester Flow Coat

Hacker

Visit site
Use thin layers of epoxy and use peel ply so that you don’t need to sand between coats. Depending on what type of surface you want you vacant either fair it properly or finish with a flowcoat layer

lloydlloyd

Visit site
Still going with a single, super thick coat ?

I'd avoid that idea, as it's almost impossible to get enough on in one go. If you were laying up in a mould, it can be done, because you wouldn't need to sand and polish it. Applying it how you are doing it you'll need to build it up to a suitable thickness, at least 2 or 3 coats.

No, not a super thick coat.
We will be aiming for a medium coat this time.
And the use of the roller should stop all the lumpy bumpy parts from happening again.
As we have discovered that this stuff is as thick as the lowest point.
Because thats where you need to sand it back to, to to get a smooth finish.

DanW

Visit site
Are you redoing your boats gelcoat?
If so I done that last summer and man oh man is it a lot of work and wouldn't advise it.
But if you need advice I'd say I've run into all the problems!

MystyBlue2

Visit site
I just abraded then a quick wipe with acetone and then applied the new flowcoat

still good 13 yrs later ;)
+1 thats pretty much got it in one! Thats all you can do with the wax styrene. Sand back wipe clean and re apply THICKER

I was so nervous of this scenario when i glassed in my new deck and flowcoated the top surface. Luckily i went overboard and made it nice and thick. Plus the thicker the layer, The better it cures as there is more heat generated by chemical reaction within more liquid applied.