Help needed for parts in Ireland

CHKIWI

Visit site
Hi we are from New Zealand our yacht is in Turkey I need to fit two new genoa tracks and cars so I can trim our new number 3 sail.
The prices here are very high ( turkey). We will be on holiday in Ireland next week and thought I could get them there?
Having never been to Ireland before can someone let me know the best place to find them, they will only be about 500mm to 600mm long and would need to be in stock
PS we will there for 10 days and traveling around.
Any help would be appreciated

Cheers
Colin

lpdsn

Visit site
Hi we are from New Zealand our yacht is in Turkey I need to fit two new genoa tracks and cars so I can trim our new number 3 sail.
The prices here are very high ( turkey). We will be on holiday in Ireland next week and thought I could get them there?
Having never been to Ireland before can someone let me know the best place to find them, they will only be about 500mm to 600mm long and would need to be in stock

Cheers
Colin

I generally find it cheaper to buy from the UK. Maybe you can order them in advance and pick them up whilst you're here.

Other than that, a few places to try:

Marine Parts Direct, Swords, Co. Dublin - mainly mail order but you can turn up at their site.
Western Marine, Bullock Harbour, nr Dun Laoghaire.
Masts & Rigging Ireland Ltd, Malahide.
There's also Union Chandelry down in Cork, and they probably still have a shop at Malahide too.

If they don't have what you want in stock they would be willing to order it in from the UK at a premium. Definitely phone ahead to check.

skenn_ie

Visit site
Philip Watson sails and Downer sails nr Dublin, McWilliams sails in Cork.
I live on an old minesweeper 20 miles North of Dublin. 0857420073

Last edited:

CHKIWI

Visit site
Thank you so much this will give us a good place to start
Living on a an old minesweeper now sound interesting I bet that if she could talk she would have some stories to tell
Cheers
Colin & Christine
SV Shapeshifter

saltylegs

Visit site
If you can make it to the North of Ireland try Kirk at Down Marine there's not much he does not stock or can source give him a ring and explain what you need.
Down Marine

Address: 163 Comber Rd, Dundonald, Belfast, Down BT16 2BU
Phone:028 9048 0247

CHKIWI

Visit site
I hope we can get to North Ireland we are flying in on Monday so will call when we get a cell phone
Cheers
Colin

akyaka

Visit site
Colin. If you are unsuccesful try going to the local Sanay on the edge of town where your boat is based in Turkey rather than into the expensive chandleries which gather around the marinas . You often find that is where they source products and mark up and change prices from TL to Euro. Many in coastal towns have excellent stainless/aluminium businesses

CHKIWI

Visit site
Hi thanks yes the prices are hight for some things in turkey around the marinas, it was rigger that said the cars for the tracks expensive here and as we were going out of turkey it would better to pick them up and save. We are thinking of getting ss arch for some solar panels do you know of any one here.
Cheers
Colin

akyaka

Visit site
Hi thanks yes the prices are hight for some things in turkey around the marinas, it was rigger that said the cars for the tracks expensive here and as we were going out of turkey it would better to pick them up and save. We are thinking of getting ss arch for some solar panels do you know of any one here.
Cheers
Colin

Where are you based in Turkey ?As I said have a wander around the local Sanay ( industrial estate), they are usually signposted; you are bound to find a stainless man who probably supplies to the marina and will charge TL as long as you organise delivery. Just about to take my venerable 2hp outboard for a service in our local Sanay ; the last time I was there he scavenged a part from his upstairs scrapyard and did not charge me - bet it would have been on my Euro bill as a new part if I had sourced through the marina ;)

CHKIWI

Visit site
We are in Albatros marina Marmaris they are saying it's going to cost 2500€ will all the fittings sounds hight to me
But I have never priced one. Will have a look around when we get back in 10 days
Cheers
Colin

Mrnotming

Visit site
No 3 genoa tracks /cars

Cheers
Colin

Hi CHKIWI,
If your No3 was bought for bashing to windward, would not a single attachment point suffice each side suffice?
Lots of very strong dyneema etc and modern blocks might provide a better solution?
There may be very good reasons why you need the tracks and cars, but some here would no doubt be able to offer advice from their modern sportboat experiences?

CHKIWI

Visit site
Hi CHKIWI,
If your No3 was bought for bashing to windward, would not a single attachment point suffice each side suffice?
Lots of very strong dyneema etc and modern blocks might provide a better solution?
There may be very good reasons why you need the tracks and cars, but some here would no doubt be able to offer advice from their modern sportboat experiences?

Hi I have tried a single point and feel the track is better for me as I like the sails trimmed.(gives me some thing to do all day)
Cheers
Colin

CHKIWI

Visit site
I have now found what I am looking for in a small shop old stock so price was right
Thanks for all the help
See you round
Cheers
Colin
SV Shapeshifter

akyaka

Visit site
Colin
Glad you found what you want,

FYI there are a couple of chandleries in Marmaris which sell second hand stock and the Sanay is just off the main road as you are going out of town , past the Datca road turning on the left and about 400 metres before it climbs the hill. If you cut through from the Dolmus station you are almost opposite. It is signposted.There a number of boat associated businesses in there.

CHKIWI

Visit site
Colin
Glad you found what you want,

FYI there are a couple of chandleries in Marmaris which sell second hand stock and the Sanay is just off the main road as you are going out of town , past the Datca road turning on the left and about 400 metres before it climbs the hill. If you cut through from the Dolmus station you are almost opposite. It is signposted.There a number of boat associated businesses in there.

Thanks for this I will go and have a look when I get back good info
cheers
Colin
SV Shapeshifter