Help needed...confused on power rating on boat

Jofcom

Visit site
Hi all,

newbie here.

Been looking around for a used boat since the past 9 months. I'm on a budget and quite specific with needs. (Worst combination ever)

Finally I came across a boat which ticks most of my boxes namely a 2006 Airon Marine 325 (33 footer) with twin Volvo Penta duo props diesel engines (240hrs) Boat is in very good condition and I really like the way the boat looks, my concern is about the powertrain used. The KAD32's (170hp) are renowned for reliability and I have no issue with that except that they have quite low hours for a 10 year old craft, however what i'm really worried about is that the boat might be underpowered and will suffer to keep on plane if loaded to max (i.e.: 10 pax full fuel and fresh water tanks (circa 600 litres total)

Whoever I spoke to in this field told me immediately that those engines are way too small for a boat that size and weight. The boat weighs 4000kg according to the manufacturers specifications and the 170hp KAD32 is a factory fit engine (albeit the smallest one available...other options included 190hp and 220hp nowadays)

I am concerned that the boat will not keep on plane or else to keep it there I would need to keep the throttle open to higher than cruising suggested RPM. On the other hand I just can't fathom the idea of why this craft is equipped with that powertrain from the factory if in reality it might be underpowered.

I have not conducted any sea trials yet but will do eventually. Any suggestions from you members in this forum will be appreciated. My true feeling at the moment is that my bubble has been burst after looking at endless boats and I finally found something that I like and satisfies all my needs.

Thanks

Whitelighter

Visit site
Because whoever bought it new wouldn't stump up the cash for bigger engines or wasn't as popular as you and didn't have 9 mates to always cart around (which is about 4 people too many to be comfortable on a 10 metre boat by the way).

I assume its significantly cheaper than other boats with bigger engines.

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Fairline Targa 30 with KAD32's had a similar weight and was good for 39knots.

KAD32's were also fitted to Sealine S34 so your vessel shouldn't be too under-powered.

Might struggle with 10 on board though.

Jofcom

Visit site
Thanks Petem...some news I was willing to hear, still will give my verdict after a sea trial. To be honest there will most probably never be 10 ppl on board however 6 big (not to call them fat) guys on a day cruising around the island beach hopping and the beer that needs to be carried might pretty much be close :)

White lighter you don't have to be Elvis to bring together 8 or 9 friends and spend a day on a boat but in all honesty yeah it would be crammed.

Momac

Visit site
I have a Sealine F33 with twin kad32's which I bought last year.

Just completed a sea trip as part of a two week holiday where we cruised comfortably at up to 25 knots at 3300rpm where conditions allowed. I didn't press it any faster .
The boat is some 5500kg I believe. We were carrying plenty of stuff and full tanks at the performance I have described. It's not as fast getting up to speed as my previous 25ft sports cruiser but I didn't really expect it would be a rocket ship. The boat you describe is much lighter so should go very well .

My engines also had very low hours . I had a survey prior to purchase including a trial during which it was run up to speed . I had the engines professionally serviced since and have found no issues. I have added 100 engine hours.

The boat you are considering, a 2006 boat with kad32's ? Must have been pretty much the last of the kad32's . That's Not a bad thing. Simpler engineering and better than the D3's.

Jofcom

Visit site
Quick update and in search of some more advice. With regards to my post further up with questioning if KAD32's are good enough on a 10m Airon Marine, I have found an older (1997) boat which seems in pretty good nick that has KAD43's. My dilemma 2006 with KAD32's having 240hrs on a 2006 boat or exact same boat but 1997 refitted in 2011 with KAD43's having done 700hrs? Price wise they're the same, the older boat is closer to my home port so bringing it home will be much easier and less time consuming (30hrs trip vs 10hr trip) suggestions anyone? I was pretty much settled with the engine issue but now this came up!

rafiki_

Visit site
If a similar price, I would go for the newer boat. The older boats are, the more likely things are to go wrong. 10 years on a boat is quite a long time.