Help - Fairline Targa

G

Just kicked off the season's toy acquisition with a new radar/plotter. Question: does anyone have a Fairline T28/9 or other and can tell me how on earth you get to the bolts that hold the mast in the middle of the radar arch? I need to remove it in order to mount the new toy, but all there is on the bottom side of the arch is a light...

TIA

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

Thanks for the input, there, Dom.

Tried one. Gets clogged up as the gelcoat melts.

<hr width=100% size=1>

jfm

Visit site
answer i think

I assume that if you remove the light fittiing there isn't a big enough hole to get to the fasteners on the inside. In which case, two possible answers:

1. They are not thru bolted, I mean there's no nut on the other side. Instead there is a sheet of tapping grade aluminium set into the laminate and the bolts just screw into tapped holes in that. So just unscrew the boltheads that you can see on the top side

2. Fairline put the nuts and bolts on, then glassed together the two halves of the radar arch, so you are knackered.

I strongly suspect it's item 1 above, as fairline use a lot of tapping grade ally in places like this. Lettus know if it works out that way. There should be various panels you can remove to get to the inside of the radar arch, glued in and silicone sealed

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

Re: answer i think

Close, I suspect, but no cigar...

There are two panels in the sides, as you describe, but the top of the arch, no. The mast is part of a stainless plate, with no bolts or screws visible, so I presume threaded rod welded to the underside, and bolted from inside the arch.

The light fitting is maybe 3" across, the mast base maybe 8" across. A couple of feet either side of the light are speakers, and removing these reveals big plastic pipe as cable trunking, and a foam core to the arch. I haven't even worked out how to get the light fitting out yet...

I'll have to have a detailed look at the weekend, I guess.

<hr width=100% size=1>

[2574]

Visit site
Graham,

I have a Targa 39 and have been through the process you are going through twice. However, the T39 has a round panel on the underside of the radar arch that is stuck in with silicone sealant. It's a stanley knife job to cut the panel out. Ditto for the two side panels where the arch is bolted to the superstructure. The lights in the radar arch are mounted on springs that are folded back like wings when inserted, to remove the light it can be just pulled out and the springs folded back when replacing.

When feeding the radar cable through to the helm my advice is not to take down interior linings as was suggested to me but to take out the vhf. You can then catch the radar cable with a bent bit of wire as you push it down through the arch/superstructure joint. I have recently installed a 2nd vhf and navtex and I tried going down through the port side of the arch as we already have a whole bunch of wires down the starboard side, but no can do - I couldn't get through with my drill.

A tip for resealing the panels back in with sealant - the sealant goes everywhere and makes a real dog's breakfast of the interior side of the arch, unless you cover the areas where you will not want sealant with vaseline - you can then simply wipe off the excess sealant.

Apologies if the T30 method doesn't resemble this at all!

Rob

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

Thanks for that, Rob. No central panel as you describe, but otherwise spot on for mine. Have already pulled additional cables through for GPS antenna, so I was aware of the VHF trick, but thanks for the tip. I can draw the GPS cable back to pull in a cord, then tie the cord to the GPS and Radar lead, so I should be OK on that.

The clincher was knowing how that bloody light was attached. Must be a hell of a set of springs for it not to get jolted out. I guess it will be tight getting at the bolts, but WTF...

Thanks for the tip on the vaseline. Later models use captive nuts and screws, so you don't have all that mess, apparently.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
Not familiar with the your model, so i am of litle use. Our targa had an obvious glooped-in plate under the radar arch.

I don't believe you need remove the mast, but attach a mounting plate to the mast where it is, no?

The light underneath is just illumination yes? a 12 round halogen thing? -these just spring out with a flat knife.

In any case, try having some for and aft adjustment so the radar can see forwards rather than always be leaning back, where it pick up and excellent pic of the wake, and one or two seagulls forward.

sorry to be so pitifully useless...

<hr width=100% size=1>

Observer

Visit site
Sorry if this is rather obvious but I assume you've tried Fairline themselves?

Or the Fairline owners' forum?

<hr width=100% size=1>

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Now, honestly I didn't pay him to suggest my forum, but you never know it might be worth a try. If you post your query on there I'll ask my contact at Peter's to take a look.

Pete

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.FairlineOwnersClub.com>Fairline Owner's Club</A>

G

Re: No offense, but...

Peters are as much use as tits on a chicken, IMHO. Last time I asked about mounting points for davits, they kindly offered to fit a set Weaver snaps (like the ones I already have), and then referred me to the 'designer' at Fairline...

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

quite alright, just what I expected ;-)

THink there's not enuf room to attach to the mast, so planning to remove and replace with something custom made, unless anyone else has any better ideas.

BTW, do the standard radome mounts have up/down adjustment, so you don't look at seagulls/wake?

<hr width=100% size=1>

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com

Don't worry, no offence taken. I also suspect self tappers into a reinforced plate (cosmtically nice but not as robust as bolts).

What would actually be more useful would be a post to the FOC forum when you've done the job so that you can pass on your knowledge.

Regards, Pete

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.FairlineOwnersClub.com>Fairline Owner's Club</A>

tcm

Visit site
no, they don't. Normal is to nail the thing on any old how. The lectronics gives you the ability to rotate the image so that the things on the bow are displayed as such. But not adjust the fore/aft attitude. Of course, no attitude adjustment foreaft wd praps mean that you can't belt along at 30 knots in fog or at night, or would have to have to trim for a very nose-down boat.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Benny1

Visit site
We have had a new radar fitted to a Targa 40 and they have put it on a 6 inch strut to get around this problem. Only problem is that it places the radome bang in front of the horns, so we wont be able to beep at pesky jet skis. Oh well, we will just have to run them down.

On that note, does anyone know why they don't fit boats with decent horns, that can actually be heard when you are motoring along. The horn on this Fairline a better than those on our previous Sunseeker (which after replacing three times, we gave up and had none). We had a Formula muscle boat once, which had a mega loud air horn concealed in a false air vent. Why can't european manufaturers fit these?

Back on the radar theme, ironically, the forward facing arch onthe Sunseeker was better for the radar in terms of it's "view". Strange for a boat that was more about form than function. The Fairline arch is so far back that the previously mentioned 6 in extension has been needed, even though the rest of the boat is much more practical.

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

Thanks for that. I was just looking at a photo of our boat running at speed, and the flat top of the arch seems to point up by several degrees. It's only horizontal at rest, so I suppose I need to allow a few degrees of tilt in the mountings.

Re the arch being so far back, are you saying that if you mount the thing at the right attitude, it'll just be looking at the pulpit rail unless you go higher?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Benny1

Visit site
Ummm...don't know. I am not that technical really. Just was the explanation our fairly competent electronics guy gave for using the stand thingy.

Tho not sure it makes masses of difference really. As tcm said, if conditions are so bad that you need the radar to see where you are going, you won't be going very fast. I have to say in 8 yrs of having had a radar, I have only needed it desperately five times, but those five times I really, really needed it.

Sports cruisers dont run at anything like the trim angles of flybridge boats. Am I alone in thinkinbg they look as though they are going along at the sort of angle they would with an elephant sat on their stern?

Sorry if that offends anyone.

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

Hmm, double post there. I was going on to comment on the elephant thing. We had a run last season with a friend in a Princess 33 Flybridge, and took some good piccies of each other, and when we swapped pics, he commented that he was so bow up it looked like he was barely planing.

<hr width=100% size=1><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Graham_Wignall on 19/03/2003 12:13 (server time).</FONT></P>

G

Good points, good points. I suppose they can cope with a deal of rolling and pitching anyway.

<hr width=100% size=1>

miket

Visit site

When I had my Turbo 36 Peters Shipyard were very helpful.
The Broker put me on to them.

<hr width=100% size=1>