Hello HeadMistress

southchinasea

Visit site
Just spent a pleasant hour or so trying to find out why my Y valve seems to have given up diverting from either direct discharge to holding tank. I was surprised to see a large build up what I think is urine derived (whiteish) crystalline build up. Living aboard so the heads get a lot of use, but all new 14 months ago. Anyway
my question...Is there any solution/treatment I can flush through the system to break down this build up? Seems to me only a matter of time before the inlet/oulet hoses will clog up? Many thanks

<hr width=100% size=1>

Rohorn

Visit site
Hi...welcome to the club...what you describe is a classic situation. You will find the same salty crystalline stuffed caked up all through the system.
I recently had a party on my boat for a day out and the toilet blocked half an hour after we set out.
Accusing looks from everyone. Pulled into a bay, sent everyone ashore to the beach, pulled the system (full) apart, beat the flexible hoses on the transom to dislodge the stuff, prised the stuff out of every nook and cranny with screwdiver and bent wire, cleaned up the mess as best as possible. Then smilingly welcomed everyone back on board.
It's a bit like the constipated mathematician who worked it out with pencil and paper. To my knowledge there is no disolving chemical you can readily use in a reasonable time scale without dissolving the system as well. My son, a professional yachtie says that blasting away with a Karcher round the bend can sometimes help, but I doubt it.
The pipes simply reduce in diametre as the clag builds up like cholesterol in an artery.
Have a nice day. Cheers.....R

<hr width=100% size=1>

southchinasea

Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply. I feared as much. All my hoses are double jubilee clipped to Y valves/holding tanks etc and a sealant has been used as well. What a fun job in store! Cheers

<hr width=100% size=1>

Richsquest

Visit site
I have been recommended to use " AGUA FUERTE " its Spanish and I think it is called Hydrochloric Acid, mixed 20 parts of water to 1 part AF, leave for 2 hours then flush copiously with fresh/sea water.
Good luck

<hr width=100% size=1>

HeadMistress

Visit site
You rang? :)

Sea water calcium carbonate buildup is an issue in all sanitation (and engine cooling) systems that use sea water. It's worse in warm waters than in cold because warm waters have a higher salt/mineral content.

A 12% solution of what we call muriatic acid (sulphuric acid) in water will dissolve it if left in the hoses/system for about 45 minutes--no longer, though...or it will begin to do damage to rubber, and is easier than taking the system apart to beat the pieces on the dock. That's the fastest cure. Just be sure to follow all directions for handling and mixing carefully, and wear protective gear--rubber gloves and safety glasses.

Undiluted white vinegar will also do it, and is a lot safer to handle...but may require several applications, especially if the buildup is severe.

Prevention is always easier than cure, though. A cupful of undiluted white vinegar down the head once a week--maybe twice if you're a live aboard--will keep the hoses, y-valves etc clear of mineral build up. ONLY a cupful is needed, flushed through in the "dry" mode (any toilet that's working anywhere near factory specs can move bowl contents at least 6' in the dry mode)...any more is wasted. Always flush vinegar through the system...NEVER leave vinegar sitting the bowl as some kind of "water barrier." Soft rubber--i.e. the joker valve in the toilet discharge--left to soak in vinegar will swell up and distort. Just flushing through won't hurt it, however.

Vinegar also helps to retard odor permeation of hoses...it lowers the pH level, retarding bacterial activity. When leaving the boat, flush a quart or two of clean fresh water through after closing the seacock, followed by a cupful of vinegar.

<hr width=100% size=1>Peggie Hall
Specializing in marine sanitation since 1987

VicS

Visit site
Re: Muriatic acid

Muriatic acid is hydrochloric acid not sulphuric. I would not use sulphuric acid for this job; nasty stuff, burns holes in things and because calcium sulphate is only sparingly soluble probably won't be as effective

It's time all these antique names were buried.

Vinegar is dilute ethanoic (or acetic) acid, a very weak acid anyway. I would have thought it would require repeated applications and an impractical time to shift large quantities of deposit but a regular flush through to keep the system clean sounds a reasonable idea.

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=purple>Ne te confundant illegitimi.</font color=purple>

HeadMistress

Visit site
Re: Hey Peggie

Hello Ian m'love! I'd never reject a note from you! :) You must have used my old email address. I thought I'd sent you the new one...I'll email you.

I stand corrected re muriatic acid...it is hydrochloric. A 12% solution in water is safe and effective for removing scale in marine plumbing. In fact it's the solution recommended by Raritan to remove scale from the electrode pack in a Lectra/San (Type I MSD that treats waste for overboard discharge)--a device that's easily damaged if even household chemical toilet bowl cleaners go into it. It's also recommended for cleaning out engine raw water intake hoses.

I wouldn't use cola, though...it'll dissolve some metals. I'd hate to think what it might do to the rubber parts in a marine toilet. Some ideas may be cheap solutions to one problem, but cause problems that are a lot more expensive to solve.

As for vinegar, distilled white vinegar is recommended because it's far more acidic than cider or other vinegars that may be cut with water, and therefore more effective in dissolving and preventing mineral buildup (it's also usually cheaper than most others). It may require 2-3 applications, compared to just one for the muriatic/hydrochloric acid solution, but will get the job done.

White vinegar is marvelous stuff, and has a myriad number of cleaning applications. Mixed with baking soda, it'll even clear a clog in a sink drain...but that should be approached very carefully because the pressure generated could blow out a hose fitting before it moves a particularly stubborn clog....so don't even THINK of using it to clear a clog in the toilet plumbing!

<hr width=100% size=1>Peggie Hall
Specializing in marine sanitation since 1987