Headsail top swivel

Picks

Visit site
Hi.
Time has come to put the genoa back on the roller reefing system and I've found that last season in a moment of tiredness/stupidity/incompetence ( insert own words )!! I hauled the top swivel all the way to the top of the foil/mast. I've tried releasing the halyard put the weight of the top swivel is not enough to bring the thing back down the track. Is there a solution apart from buying a bosuns chair and hauling SWMBO'd to the top to attach a line so I can haul it back down?
All solutions/abuse are welcome/expected!!:eek:
Cheers.

Severnman

Visit site
Are you in a marina and have access to a hoist? Perhaps a snivelling request to marina might be of use. Tried shaking the foil whilst kick slacking halyard? Access to a lock or drying wall at Low Water where you could reach the mast top? Otherwise it is indeed Bosun's chair for someone...

Viking

Visit site
Boat hook on a spinnaker halyard if you have one (spinnaker Halyard) Dont forget to put a downhaul on it so you can swing the halyard a try to hook between the G.Halyand and the top swival. Good Luck!

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
Do you have another halyard in vicinity of the Genoa halyard (spinnaker poss.)? If so, you might be able to make up a wire loop around the foil and haul it up over the swivel to snag it. You could then pull it down with a line attached to the other halyard (Don't forget to attach this retrieval line before hauling the other halyard up :D).

Just a stab in the dark. I haven't tried this but it might work. Variations possible, e.g. Use a noose or combination of noose & metal support wire to snag and catch the swivel. Might be worth making the line/loop over the swivel weak and use a strong retrieval line to guarantee recovery of the spare halyard (you might need it to get up the mast if all else fails).

Last edited:

prv

Visit site
In a similar, though not identical, situation I was able to make a coathanger-wire guide that ran up the mast (you'd run it up the foil) on the end of a length of electrical conduit. Push it up, add another 3m length of conduit on the bottom, push it up some more, etc - a bit like a chimney-sweeper's brush. The guide is necessary as the stuff is too flexible to use as a free-standing pole.

I was trying to catch the inglefield clip on the end of a signal halyard that had pulled into the upper block - a genoa swivel and halyard should be easy by comparison!

Pete

PhillM

Visit site
In a similar, though not identical, situation I was able to make a coathanger-wire guide that ran up the mast (you'd run it up the foil) on the end of a length of electrical conduit. Push it up, add another 3m length of conduit on the bottom, push it up some more, etc - a bit like a chimney-sweeper's brush. The guide is necessary as the stuff is too flexible to use as a free-standing pole.

I was trying to catch the inglefield clip on the end of a signal halyard that had pulled into the upper block - a genoa swivel and halyard should be easy by comparison!

Pete

Similar except I used drain rods from B&Q. Unfortunately, with ownership comes responsibility - when we get blocked drains I get that job too.

prv

Visit site
Similar except I used drain rods from B&Q. Unfortunately, with ownership comes responsibility - when we get blocked drains I get that job too.

I still haven't run the cables from the utility cupboard to the attic that I originally bought the conduit for :)

Pete

Ruffles

www.soulbury.demon.co.uk
All solutions/abuse are welcome/expected!!
Not such a bad idea really. Your halyard has been snug inside the mast all Winter. Mine have been flapping about in the breeze wearing out to no useful purpose and going green.

I've often thought of doing the same but attaching an old line to the main halyard so I can retrieve and use to pop up the mast for the others. Never been brave enough to try it though. Hats off to you!

srm

Visit site
I've often thought of doing the same but attaching an old line to the main halyard so I can retrieve and use to pop up the mast for the others. Never been brave enough to try it though. Hats off to you!

Been doing it for years with all my halyards and never a problem. Tails into a plastic bag to keep them clean and light braided nylon line for the downhauls. Always leave the swivels at the bottom though. Reduces windage as well. Just make sure the halyard tails are flaked free to run when hauling on the light line.

Lakesailor

Visit site
I managed to get one down for someone by hauling the spinnaker halyard up with a line attached and just passing the line around the foil a couple of times. When you haul down on it it (if you're lucky) may have wrapped around the swivel and bring it down as well. You may have to experiment to get enough the number of turns right so they don't just jamb on the foil.

Seashoreman

www.pianotuning.uk.com
I have recently just jammed swivel at top of forestay. Then it got windy so I yanked with all my might, still jammed. The result was a 'yard job', had to send someone up the crane to remove forestay. I had managed to untwist three strands of wire by yanking it, bit of a mess up there I am told. Nothing broken on furling gear but had to have a new forestay made up, haven't had the bill yet. How did this happen? I removed the large twisted shackle to attach nice new halyard, put it back on the wrong way round apparently and got a friend to winch it to the top, wont be doing that again.
I suppose I now know I have a new stay and bottle screw which were proffesionally fitted. Other than generating humour and revenue for the boatyard everything else is in one piece and I am afloat. Good luck.

Picks

Visit site
Hi,
Just an update on getting the top head swivel down. First off tried the drain rods up the foil, kept the rods close to the foil with some cable ties but by the time I had fitted all together it was very hard to control and the rods were too bendy to push with any force. So I then took the top drain rod which had a coat hanger fitted on and hauled up with a line attached to try and hook the swivel. With some patience, tenacity and playing the wind I managed to hook it and pull it down. Got a sore neck now from looking skywards for ages though! !
Thanks to all who offered their advice.
Cheers.

pandos

Visit site
Hi,
Just an update on getting the top head swivel down. First off tried the drain rods up the foil, kept the rods close to the foil with some cable ties but by the time I had fitted all together it was very hard to control and the rods were too bendy to push with any force. So I then took the top drain rod which had a coat hanger fitted on and hauled up with a line attached to try and hook the swivel. With some patience, tenacity and playing the wind I managed to hook it and pull it down. Got a sore neck now from looking skywards for ages though! !
Thanks to all who offered their advice.
Cheers.

Been there done that.....

Next time lie on the deck with Binoculars close to hand, Surprising how you can coordinate your hands and feet whilst looking upwards with the binos.....