Heads up about Vodaphone Spain

Heckler

Visit site
Bought a Voda sim card a month ago for €15 with 1.5 gb of data. Best we could do in Cadiz. Pleasantly surprised to see that when we fired it up, a message from Voda, we are doubling your allowance to 3gb! Whay! It just ran out so off we popped to see Mr Kahn, the sim card shop, here in La Linea, he speaks english as well. €20 for 2gb, sigh, ok then, fire it up and wahey! Voda message we have doubled your allowance to 4gb!
Dunno how long they are doing it for but it is now a deal, plus it is 4G
Stu

Visit site
Having spent some time researching this I will be switching to a PAYG sim from 3 mobile...... you can use their 'At home' plan throughout Europe to which in September a lot more countries will be added..Portugal for one which is where we are...I was worried because it is really aimed at casual holidaymakers not long term use but everyone I have spoken to say they have been using it for ages with no problems... and they also allow tethering/hotspot with no problems also.. Portugal does far better deals than most places..NOS mobile for instance does 30 days unlimited data for 20 euros... we are heavy data users and when we ventured in to Spain this year decent data was a problem...Vodaphone was about the best but no way as good as 3 !

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Having spent some time researching this I will be switching to a PAYG sim from 3 mobile...... you can use their 'At home' plan throughout Europe to which in September a lot more countries will be added..Portugal for one which is where we are...I was worried because it is really aimed at casual holidaymakers not long term use but everyone I have spoken to say they have been using it for ages with no problems... and they also allow tethering/hotspot with no problems also.. Portugal does far better deals than most places..NOS mobile for instance does 30 days unlimited data for 20 euros... we are heavy data users and when we ventured in to Spain this year decent data was a problem...Vodaphone was about the best but no way as good as 3 !

There has been a lot of discussion about this on various forums. As I understand it the 3 deal applies to holidaymakers, not liveaboards. Many report that their phones have been cut off after two months.

damsis44

Visit site
I used 3 whilst I was living aboard in Spain, the trick is to switch it off for a full 24hours a month, which seems to reset the counter. But I couldn't use personal hotspot/tethering, when I tried to switch the hotspot on, it came up saying it wasn't allowed on the data package and switched the phone off! (I'm on a paid plan £11/month for 2gb, way more than I need personally, but I assumed I could let DH share it from his ipad on my hotspot - not the case) Check the T&C before you buy.

www.bavariayacht.info
Visit site
I used 3 whilst I was living aboard in Spain, the trick is to switch it off for a full 24hours a month, which seems to reset the counter. But I couldn't use personal hotspot/tethering, when I tried to switch the hotspot on, it came up saying it wasn't allowed on the data package and switched the phone off! (I'm on a paid plan £11/month for 2gb, way more than I need personally, but I assumed I could let DH share it from his ipad on my hotspot - not the case) Check the T&C before you buy.

you are on too low a plan for the hotspot use...it only applies to the higher plans.. excellent idea of switching off now and again to reset.

Visit site
Even better from 3 is a 12 mth sim only contract...... '3 Advanced Plan' ...All you can eat data, Unlimited Txt and 200min calls plus hotspot use...all for £23 a month.. that seems excellent to me..