Headlining advice sought

NickRobinson

Visit site
Hi All-

My Mac 26 (wester not gregor!) was launched yesterday, all ok so far.

The headlining is painted, rough grp, quite dowdy and mildewed after the winter.

I'm thinking about
1 Repainting (cheap quick but no help with condensation)
2 Thin cord 'Office' carpet (security of glue, attention to detail round ports etc)
3 Vinyl, foamed or not (issues ditto 2)
4 White plastic 'construction' boards (too fiddly I think, to avoid looking like a lash up?)

What have you tried?

Nick

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
You could divide the area up into sections with strips of teak which can be varnished then fill the gaps with 3mm plywood cut to size which can be covered with a vinyl headlining material, the plywood will bend to suit curved spaces and can be screwed into place the screws can be hidden by using cups and caps availlable from Toomer and Hayter. You may have to glue blocks in place to screw the plywood to but you get a space between the deckhead and the lining which is usefull for running wires in and fixing lights to the headlining panels.

seadog30

Visit site
Bitter experience

I cleaned up the "ceiling" painted it and then glued the Toomy & Hayter felt backed fire retardent headlining using the proper expensive glue on our Mac. It was a nightmare of a job as the Mac is very "irregular" in shape. It still fell of the next winter.

If you can afford the loss of head room ply pannels are the way to go.

Good luck

Seadog

TopDonkey

Visit site
Another recommendation for ply panels here as well.

I refitted my last boat with 6mm wbp ply which i dark stained then 3 coats of varnish and it looked really good, 3 years later when i sold it, it still looked as good as the day i put it up

When i have finished the wiring in the ceiling on my python, i will be ply paneling that too with recessed led down lighters fitted at the same time

nickd

Visit site
Ply panels and foam backed vinyl
Just make sure you have cuts and placed all of the panels to check the sizes then take them off and vinyl them.
You want about a 4-5mm gap between each panel when bare to allow for the thickness of the vinyl.