Heading towards Portugal!

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Just had a word with the woman I mentioned. The pool was being cleared as part of the coastal clearing of illegal houses, boats and wrecks. Initially there was a €500 fine payable to a charity, which is strange but then things moved on. Evidently many left the pool when it was being fenced off but then went back when the fence wasn't completed. The later higher fines were basically for civil disobedience and there were threats of boats being confiscated and sold if fines not paid.

Portuguese have some pretty draconian laws and hefty fines so beware. Typical instance, if caught scuba diving in Ria Formosa without a license from police is up to €5k fine plus another €1k for not displaying dive flag which, for obvious reasons, we don't do! Snorkeling also requires license.
We maybe going that way this year , only time will tell.
So you saying you can't snorkelling or dive on the bottom of boat to clean without a license any where in Portugal ?

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
We maybe going that way this year , only time will tell.
So you saying you can't snorkelling or dive on the bottom of boat to clean without a license any where in Portugal ?

No idea what the rules are for coastal waters, I only know about the Ria Formosa which is a nature reserve and the diving rules are written into the statute. As I was present when a guy was caught by PM last year, I can no longer claim ignorance so will try for a licence later in the year to replace my mooring chain but, not sure if I will get one as they normally want a commercial qualification.

srm

Visit site

I see lots of people snorkeling in designated swimming areas during the summer and no sign of police interest.

However. a friend goes spear fishing while snorkeling and always has her licence in her vehicle. She has been asked to show it a number of times as the maritime police do road patrols in the winter. We have some natural tidal rock pool swiming areas, where spear fishing or taking octopus is prohibited all year round - even when no one else is there. Apparently, a licence is also required for non commercial fishing with rod and line. Another friend with a restaurant will only buy fish from sellers who can provide an official invoice.

Don't know about needing a licence for working on bottom of own boat. I do so in the marina berth with snorkel and have seen someone else using scuba gear to clean his hull, again in the marina.

Pavalijo

Visit site
Is a licence required to fish in Portuguese waters (from shore or boat)? If so how much, where can I get one from and does it cover all of Portugal?

Is it illegal to harvest clams (as it is in Spain)?

(I got a fishing licence in La Coruna for less than 4 euro but that only covers Galicia)

greeny

Visit site
License is required for all fishing in Portugal. Different rates apply for different categories, freshwater and rivers, beach/rock fishing, boat fishing, spear fishing. The fee increases from left to right. You can get a license from a multibanco machine if you have a Portuguese bank card. If not, get someone to get you one and pay them cash. You need your passport number to enter into the system when you do. Then you need to carry your printout from the machine and passport whenever fishing. Don't forget lifejackets when fishing from boat.
Don't know the rules regarding clams but I'd check before you do. Fines for this type of thing can be punitive.
I often swim and clean my boat water line with the occasional dive underneath whilst at anchor.
I also dive with bottles whist in the marina once a year but do it on a quiet morning not in high season when there is less likelihood of being spotted. Probably not allowed but i take the chance.
By the way, any fishing inside the docks and marinas is strictly prohibited from boat or shore.