Head Lining Residue

Andibs

Visit site
I need to replace my head lining as it's either fallen off or peeled away. The pieces that have come off have left a black horrible residue that won't wash off and I can't sand due to surface.

Anyone any suggestions short of a blow torch.

Many thanks
Andy

VicS

Visit site
Hawk House sell these "face off " discs for glue removal.

1712593876285.png

I tried something similar but did not find it effective

I eventually decided that what could not be removed easily could stay!

chris-s

Visit site
If it’s some sort of old sealant, I’ve had good results this winter with ‘multisolve’ from toolstation and removing old sealant, old contact adhesive and the likes. Whitespirits does almost as well.

Rappey

Visit site
If it's contact adhesive then it needs to be removed as new contract adhesive softens the old which then does not stick.

Refueler

Visit site
I had same problem .... so I hand sanded to remove the loose and worst ... but TBH - did not put a lot of effort into it ...

I decided to leave it and see what happened ..... I was replacing foam backed vinyl with Van Lining ....

Results ? Very good .... and the lining adhered fine. The old adhesive did not prove any problem for the new ...

RDzWjgwl.jpg

xLZIDcVl.jpg

SLLxcuNl.jpg

n7ASXKFl.jpg

Old used as rough template ..

5Na57eql.jpg

Van lining in place - just needed to sort that seam ..

6ylFWPEl.jpg

xcJtRqel.jpg

I was amazed at how well the lining went up and its ability to be stretched .. made to fit the contours ...

It is warm and extremely comfortable to touch ... not the cold plasticky feel of the old vinyl.

Other threads that may be of interest