Having sails delivered to Gibraltar

Oscarpop

Visit site
Can anyone please offer advice on having our sails delivered to Gibraltar?

Our sailmaker can send the sails to Gib and avoid paying the vat on them. We however have our boat in Valencia and hoped to be able to drive the 400 miles or so, pick the sails up and drive back. However are we liable to pay tax on them as we enter Spain?

We don’t really want to sail all the way back to pick up the sails, but will do if it’s required.

Many thanks.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Sound to me the reason it's being sent to Gib is so they don't have to pay VAT . So to have them sent to Spain whouldnt help them .
I would just go and pick them up and take them out of there bags you may get caught and the other hand most likely not .

RobbieW

Visit site
Be sure you understand all the implications of shipping into Gib. I did it when wintering in La Linea and found I needed an agent to clear the goods into Gibraltar and delivering to Ocean Village, agent being chosen by the delivery company. The agents charges werent far off the VAT that I would have paid shipping into Spain on about 2k's worth of stuff iirc. I'd have got the goods quicker shipping direct as well due to constraints in the schedule of deliverers servicing Gib.

Heckler

Visit site
Sound to me the reason it's being sent to Gib is so they don't have to pay VAT . So to have them sent to Spain whouldnt help them .
I would just go and pick them up and take them out of there bags you may get caught and the other hand most likely not .

I bought a 32" tele last year in Gib, walked across the border with it in the box in my arms, they didnt even look at me. However if the OP thinks it will save enough he needs to sail to Gib, stay in the marina where it is delivered and then sail off with them. Mate bought a dinghy and out board, delivered to Gib VAT free to the yacht c/o marina etc, because it was yacht in transit, no 12.5% Gib import duty, tootled there from La Linea and then tootled back.

Heckler

Visit site

Have weighed the 150% genoa on mine, its just under 15 kilos so could hold baggage one in but no duty free!