Have you tried to renew your SSR online?

bitbaltic

sailingkarisma.wordpress.com
I'm trying to do this right now. After a byzantine exercise in scanning documents to "claim my vessel" (which has already been on the SSR for 10 years), I get the opportunity to renew the certificate. The website immediately asks for:

Bill of sale
CSR Form 2 (?)
Cerificate of Incorporation (?)
Builders certificate
Certificate of survey for tonnage and measurement (I am assuming this is a thames tonnage survey)
International tonnage certificate ITC69 (?)
Radio License

And it informs you that this is the *minimum* documentation you'll need to magic up in order to get your SSR renewed.

If I send in the postal form then I only need supply a HIN and a signature.

It seems an absolutely terrible system.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Yes! I also gave them a lot of feedback about how badly thought through their system is. Ignore what it is asking for and it should ask you for the fee. They don't even sent you a wee certificate any more.

DanTribe

Visit site
The system is a shambles. Last time I did my renewals a few years ago, I wasted loads of time on line. I think I eventually got some one to answer the phone who told me to ignore what the website said and sent me form in the post. I returned it by post and the new certificate came back soon aftrer.

Daverw

Visit site
Did mine a few weeks ago, once I had uploaded the relevant docs which I understand is a one off to prove ownership had to then wait a few days for confirmation. When this was done logged on again to renew and took a few minutes. I did get confused over payment and did this with the original registration which was incorrect and it would not let me do it again. I phoned them and the helpful lady sorted in seconds and reg form emailed about 5 minutes later. None of this really hard but different to last time, the confusing bit is the registration bit of the documents other stuff was there.

alan_d

Visit site
Did mine a few weeks ago, once I had uploaded the relevant docs which I understand is a one off to prove ownership had to then wait a few days for confirmation. When this was done logged on again to renew and took a few minutes. I did get confused over payment and did this with the original registration which was incorrect and it would not let me do it again. I phoned them and the helpful lady sorted in seconds and reg form emailed about 5 minutes later. None of this really hard but different to last time, the confusing bit is the registration bit of the documents other stuff was there.
Did mine a couple of weeks ago. Having read the instructions for online renewal I reckoned I would be quicker to do it by post (although I did use Royal Mail online postage). I also paid online and (pretty promptly) was emailed a link to a digitally signed Certificate of Registration.

GeeW

Visit site
alan_d
I take it you can then download/print said Certificate? Only asking as it is on my 'to do ' list before the new year.

bitbaltic

sailingkarisma.wordpress.com
Yes! I also gave them a lot of feedback about how badly thought through their system is. Ignore what it is asking for and it should ask you for the fee. They don't even sent you a wee certificate any more.
Got an email back from them today and this is exactly what you are supposed to do. Ignore all the stuff the page asks for and just click through to payment. You’d think a few lines of explanation could be easily enough added to the webpage. Anyway will try tomorrow, fingers crossed.

diverd

Visit site
I registered my boat about a month ago. All i sent was a scan of the receipt letter. I have a very brief email conversation as the scan was not as clear as it could be and that was it. It took a few days, perhaps a week and i was emailed a link to a print off certificate. It was all very simple i thought.
Initially i missed the emailed link, but when I logged in it has a tab saying my certificates or similar and there it was. I emailed to ask about the cert, found it myself and then within an hour or so had emailed instructions

lustyd

Visit site
They don't even sent you a wee certificate any more.
They did for me, but it took so long that I was genuinely surprised when I opened a letter and found it inside. By that time I'd printed and laminated two copies of the PDF which are indestinguishable from the original, plus one unlaminated just in case.

Rafiki

Visit site
I have just put my boat on the SSR, having recently let the Part 1 registration lapse. It worked quite smoothly but I have concluded that the request for various documents page is common to the Part 1 and SSR registration, hence the request for irrelevant documents. I submitted a scanned copy of the contract under which I purchased the boat and a scanned copy of the builders certificate which I happened to have. I didnt attempt to submit the other documents and the registration was completed and a certificate sent to be a couple of days later.

alan_d

Visit site
alan_d
I take it you can then download/print said Certificate? Only asking as it is on my 'to do ' list before the new year.
Yes, it is two sides of paper and I printed an A4 copy to keep at home and an A5 one which I have laminated for the boat.

[3889]

Visit site
Not renewed but applied for new registration of an erstwhile foreign flagged boat last month. I ignored the requests for MMSI, bill of sale etc as I did not then have them. I received an email saying my application could not proceed without those documents, which went into the pending tray. A week later I was emailed my registration certificate. Bureaucracy at its finest.
Not sure of the point of printing a copy. All marinas and authorities I have encountered are quite happy with electronic version. Marinas prefer it emailed as they don't have to photocopy anything.

ashtead

Visit site
Having renewed I felt lack of a certificate by post rather devalued. I’m not entirely certain I even know what to do with mine after all this time . Is anyone actually interested in SSR any more do we know in France say? Surely they have other issues now to check?

nortada

Visit site
Having renewed I felt lack of a certificate by post rather devalued. I’m not entirely certain I even know what to do with mine after all this time . Is anyone actually interested in SSR any more do we know in France say? Surely they have other issues now to check?

May not be currently interested, but could be in the future so as it is cheap and easy to renew, why not?

Be nice if DVLC went one step further and (like road tax), not only conducted renewals on line but issued an online certificate. Cheaper and easier for all parties.

Must remember to renew mine before returning to Portugal.?

Last edited:

TheOldCodger

Visit site
Seeing this thread coincided with me acquiring a new vessel to me. I needed to transfer the SSR registration from old owner to me. I printed off and completed the online paperwork, and then sent that with copies of recent Bill of Sale, Builders cert, old SSR certificate and a brief letter of explanation plus cheque for £35. These were all posted on Saturday. This morning via email I received a new certificate. It couldn't have been easier - I am impressed. Happy days!