Have I done something stupid?

G

Took the turbos off my Fairline Mirage (AQAD30's) to give them a good clean up. Didn't drain the antifreeze out first, just let it drain into bilge as I undid the turbos and then pumped the water out from there.

Now I've put it all back together and have had a thought.

When the water drained out of the turbo's some of it could have gone down into the exhaust manifold and from there into the cylinders. So if I now try to start the engines could I get a hydraulic lock and effectively bu**er them up? So what to do? I haven't as yet turned the engines over so am tempted to remove the injectors and then turn them over a few times on the starter to "blow out" any possible water in the cylinders. Does this seem feasible or has anyone got any bright ideas as to how I can check BEFORE I ruin them?

G

You should have know problem if you take both injectors out. Bluebeard

G

A word of warning

Make sure you don't have a possibility of a hydraulic lock. Your proposal sounds reasonable BUT why don't you contact the Tech Dept of the Engine manufacturers?

I have had personal experience of water entering the cylinders of my port 90hp Mercury outboard while trolling. The connecting rod objected to the pressure. It broke in half and came through the side of the engine, including the carburetter base, in three places. All very expensive. I replaced the powerhead, carburetter and base. Almost better off buying a new engine.

Good luck.

G

How can there be any hydraulic in any way if the injectors are removed. There is know compression! Bluebeard

G

You should be OK, but

there still might be water in the combustion chamber in the top of the piston, it depends on what make of engine. What ever do it quickly before you get any rust forming.

G

Years ago when I used to play at Land Rover rallying we would remove the injectors and put a little oil in the bore (and I mean a little) then spin the engine on the starter motor.

It always worked whenever I saw it done.

I would recommend an oil and filter change afterwards

Good Luck

G

Injectors out, rocker cover off. Turn engine over (by hand) until two rockers on one cylinder are down (both valves open). Dip down through that cylinder injector hole with a pipe cleaner or similar to test for coolant. If this is No.1 Cyl., then No.3 can be checked at the same setting (without further turning). Turn engine over 180 degrees and check the other 2 cylinders. NOTE: When refitting the turbo's, make fitting the inlet oil pipe (top one) the last thing to be fitted, but before you fit it, pour engine oil into the turbo oil inlet. They don't like being spun up without any lube! You cannot put too much in, it just runs out the bottom pie into the sump. Tom

G

Get the head off as soon as possible and clean the bores out properly,check the sump oil for traces of water, replace with new head gasket, feel confident the engine isn't damaged and won't let you down, happy sailing

G

You can still get compression without the injectors as there are still valves in teh cylinder head. If these are closed you will still get the compression just a little less than normal due to the lack of petrol.

G

Petrol eh in a diesel engine!

Very good I am glad your not the engineer, maybe I should change jobs and become a comic! Regards Bluebeard the comedian!

G

Thanks fpor all your advice, some helpful and some ??? Have decided to take out the injectors, see if I can actually see any water in the cylinders, turn it over a couple of times by hand, then spin on the starter, put it all back together and try it. Will let you know if it's OK. Or if you hear a big bang tomorrow you'll already know!

G

Well you know what I meant :)

The irony of it is that I am studying engine design!!!

G

Have one of you thought of a manual hand turn with the injecters out? cant be tto hard