Hatch hinges front or back

claymore

Visit site
Going to fit a small deck hatch in the aft cabin. Can't decide whether to mount the hinges so that it opens forward or back - can see merit in both.
Its above the rudder post so I was going to use it to poke a bar through and set up an emergency steering system - that shouldn't make much difference to the hinges though
Any Ideas?

<hr width=100% size=1>regards
Claymore
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

kingfisher

Visit site
Hinges FRONT

Two reasons why a hatch should open facing the bow:
1) Ventilation, but not necessary here, unless you go sailing in the med
2) sail changes and spinakker dousing. But you're a stinkie, so n/a

ONE reason for having it open backwards: safety. It is hard to imagine what power water has when you dive your nose into a wave. It can rip open any hatch that isn't closed well.

<hr width=100% size=1>Group of people on the pontoon: skipper is the one with the toolbox.
http://sirocco31.tripod.com

claymore

Visit site
I AM NOT

a stinkie!!
KIIIIIMMMMMMM - he called me a stinkie.
WWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Claymore

kimhollamby

www.kimhollamby.com
Therapy pill on the way

Please PM me and I will send you the ointment for the rash that must certainly have broken out.

Meantime did I get it from you that you said rudder as in aft location? Normally I would plump for hinges on front edge as the more seamanlike solution but if at the transom you could make a case for opposite.

In reality best to see where hatch would lie when fully open? There may be one direction that will cause you a lot more grief than the other?

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
Re: hahaha

well it's a motorsailor, so primarily motor, sailor second.

on most boats, hinges forward. But at aft area this might nick deck space. So, seeing as how you are a memebr of the awkward squad, consider hinges facing sideways. Also, during fitting, get someone to tread on the hatch and trap your fingers to ward off this ever happening again. Also note that deck haches are incredibly naff.

<hr width=100% size=1>

claymore

Visit site
Re: Therapy pill on the way

Kim
Thank you for the quiet voice of reason and sound advice. What rough boys you have to deal with. TCM appears to be back with gusto and jimi has not become more respectful since he became a 4 ringer.
Claymore is long keeled so the top of the rudder mechanism comes up into a locker towards the back of the aft cabin. Whilst she is a sloop they did set them up to be ketch rigged and there is a plate in the centre of the aft coachroof which was where the mast step would have gone. I'm going to get rid of this and replace it with the hatch as the present emergency steering setup is worked by sitting on berth in the cabin and then you cannot see where you are going.
The mainsheet arrangement will almost certainly snag on the new hatch if I plan it correctly, just like the heasdsail ones do on the front hatch.
It seems to make sense to mount it hinging from the front as this might get a throughflow of air from the cockpit.
Now about this ointment.....

Claymore

kingfisher

Visit site
Re: I AM NOT

Oops, I was under the assumption that your heart lies where you post your questions. MoBo-forum, ergo Stinkie.

Now for me, I only post here in the hope of converting some lost souls, and to prevent the unconvertable from hurting themselves (or others).

<hr width=100% size=1>Group of people on the pontoon: skipper is the one with the toolbox.
http://sirocco31.tripod.com

claymore

Visit site
Re: I AM NOT

I post to the scuttlebutt forum. I did post to this one as hatches can be found on motorboats as well as sailing boats and I thought I might get the advice I sought. Instead I get sledged by you. Charming.

Claymore