Has anyone got any recommendations for a good Dinghy ?

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Have a look at sunsport 27

I fully agree. We had a Quicksilver 2.7 Airdeck, same boat now re-named. We owned it for 12 years, almost always in the sun throughout the Mediterranean. It rows very well and is altogether a delight. No deterioration of the material in all that time except for the Airdeck, which was replaced with a far superior design. It was a little too big for our foredeck so we sold it to a friend two years ago, who is delighted with it. We replaced it with a Sunsport ARIB 2.3, which is nowhere near as good.

JohnGC

Visit site
I fully agree. We had a Quicksilver 2.7 Airdeck, same boat now re-named. We owned it for 12 years, almost always in the sun throughout the Mediterranean. It rows very well and is altogether a delight. No deterioration of the material in all that time except for the Airdeck, which was replaced with a far superior design. It was a little too big for our foredeck so we sold it to a friend two years ago, who is delighted with it. We replaced it with a Sunsport ARIB 2.3, which is nowhere near as good.

Vic,

Would you mind expanding on why you think the ARIB isn't as good?

John

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Vic,

Would you mind expanding on why you think the ARIB isn't as good?

John

The hull compartments refuse to hold air. The valves have all been replaced but made little difference. The inflated hull makes the boat float higher, which gives it initial tippiness that can be disconcerting. This feature also renders it far less pleasant or easy to row. If we always used an outboard the latter would not be a problem but in fact we only use ours a couple of times per season. The inflatable hull is very bulky, so the boat does not roll up and stow well.

JohnGC

Visit site
The hull compartments refuse to hold air. The valves have all been replaced but made little difference. The inflated hull makes the boat float higher, which gives it initial tippiness that can be disconcerting. This feature also renders it far less pleasant or easy to row. If we always used an outboard the latter would not be a problem but in fact we only use ours a couple of times per season. The inflatable hull is very bulky, so the boat does not roll up and stow well.

Thanks Vyv. And apologies for typing your name incorrectly.

John

ostra4

Visit site
We had a Tl 260 Ribeye but being tall I found the tubes too small and we swopped for the larger 350 one after six months and find that a lot more comfortable for sitting on side tubes. Very lightweight is a bonus until the wind comes whilst at anchor and our 260 Ribeye flipped over with 4 he engine attached , lesson learnt and any high winds I take engine off .

John100156

Visit site
Interesting. Yes IIRC the smaller range upto the 280 has 390mm tubes and larger range 450mm tubes.

The TS350 that I have has the twin-skin aluminium deck, to receive a console, which is heavier and likely more stable in high winds.

srm

Visit site
Pioner Mini 8.

Bought the Mini 8 for my last boat in 2004 and still have it. A bit heavy, just about indistructible. Stopped carrying the outboard after one season and just row it. Stows on deck ahead of the mast, lifted on and off with spin halyard plus 4 part tackle. No need for UV protection, double skin makes it usable even after a puncture - which is highly unlikely.
Much more reliable than any of the deflatables.

http://pionerboat.com/pioner-8-mini/#1488276002453-f2e40ffd-1d926eb2-c92531e5-c61f

John100156

Visit site
Mmmm The Pioner boats look like fun, they appeal to me. However, how buoyant are they when pierced/punctured I wonder, I prefer the three compartment air-tube arrangement, which in the event of one puncture, or capsizing, you should be able to overturn and get back to boat/base. Mind you, its been over 5 years since I did my Sea Survival and overturned a liferaft....!

Saguday

Visit site
We've had an AB rib for 10 years and it's fantastic, planes with 4 people with a 9.8hp Tohatsu and all hypalon so tough as old boots. Ours has a fibreglass bottom so a bit heavy, dealt with using davits on the boat and dinghy wheels on the stern for pulling ashore. What I particularly like about the AB design is their high bow so they are much dryer in any kind of sea or chop. Current models are in aluminium hence lighter but not tried one. Ours is 3.2m but they do 2.8 and 2.6m version IIRC.

Having said that If I was changing I'd seriously consider a Ribeye - attractive and very well thought out boats. Saw some when we were on the Dart over winter and thought they looked great.

Apart from a standard rib the only other tender I've ever considered is a Walker Bay simply because of thebchance to lark about sailing in it. Somewhat more expensive though so I never took the plunge.

John100156

Visit site
Yes - I do like the WB a great little dinghy - Hurricane (Mike) had one which is now owned by Whitelighter (Jez) and still going strong. I know because it was ferrying my grandkids back and forth from Jez's floating trampoline a few months ago:

2016-08-12%2009.12.08.jpg

geem

Visit site
We've had an AB rib for 10 years and it's fantastic, planes with 4 people with a 9.8hp Tohatsu and all hypalon so tough as old boots. Ours has a fibreglass bottom so a bit heavy, dealt with using davits on the boat and dinghy wheels on the stern for pulling ashore. What I particularly like about the AB design is their high bow so they are much dryer in any kind of sea or chop. Current models are in aluminium hence lighter but not tried one. Ours is 3.2m but they do 2.8 and 2.6m version IIRC.

Having said that If I was changing I'd seriously consider a Ribeye - attractive and very well thought out boats. Saw some when we were on the Dart over winter and thought they looked great.
Never seen any rib plane with four adults and a 10hp engine. Are two of the people kids? Normal rule of thumb with ribs is 5hp per person. Having said that we have had four slim adults in a 9ft rib, large planing plate and 15hp two stroke plane quite well but with lots of throttle.

Apart from a standard rib the only other tender I've ever considered is a Walker Bay simply because of thebchance to lark about sailing in it. Somewhat more expensive though so I never took the plunge.

srm

Visit site
Mmmm The Pioner boats look like fun, they appeal to me. However, how buoyant are they when pierced/punctured I wonder, I prefer the three compartment air-tube arrangement, which in the event of one puncture, or capsizing, you should be able to overturn and get back to boat/base. Mind you, its been over 5 years since I did my Sea Survival and overturned a liferaft....!

Having had mine bounce off rocks and alongside piers when left afloat I doubt that it can be punctured in normal use. I also stand on its upturned hull when its stowed on deck without any signs of harm yet.

From experience with a double skin Argocat amphibian (or such like) that had the outer skin punctured when driven over sharp rocks I suspect that free surface effect will cause stability problems if the outer skin leaks. However, this was far more managable in calm water than a deflatable with one leaking tube due to a bit of rusty steel sticking up on a beach.

Last edited:

John100156

Visit site
Thanks for that, what you say makes sense, never considered a hard dinghy myself before, but certainly food for thought. Probably easier to keep clean too and you don't have to keep trim charging the tubes...!:D