Has anyone got any info KISS, SSB System.

BigJoe

Visit site
I am thinking of upgrading the electronics on my boat and was wondering if anyone has any info on the KISS, SSB System.

Just wondering about general stuff like, info, pricing, reliability, fitting etc.

Any feedback will be hugely helpful.

Bilgediver

Visit site
I am thinking of upgrading the electronics on my boat and was wondering if anyone has any info on the KISS, SSB System.

Just wondering about general stuff like, info, pricing, reliability, fitting etc.

Any feedback will be hugely helpful.

Do a search in this forum and others. If it costs more than £20 then you are better off buying a coil of speaker cable from Comet and making one. Google is your friend!

Bilgediver

Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

I was looking more at the hole package, and wondering which is the best value for money hand set also.

The Kiss SSB in your posting is nothing more than a ground plane. It consists of several lengths of wire tuned to different frequencies all with a common connector at one end and inserted into plastic tube.

When you say whole package do you mean radio....tuner.....antenna also?

oldvarnish

Visit site
I've just ordered one of these and I'll report in due course on how it performs.
If you are in Europe, the easiest way is to go to ebay (search kiss-ssb) - they keep a few on there to make the transaction simpler.

There will always be people who come along and tell you how easy it is to make one yourself. For myself, I'm more than happy to pay fifty quid to have it done for me.

deepstar

sy-edm.com
Copper cable

This seems very expensive for a set of 0.25 lambda wires.

Time for some maths....

Wavelength / QuarterWave (Common Ham bands non WARC)
80 20
40 10
20 5
15 3.75
10 2.5

Total length needed 41.25m

Now just quick look on UK Maplin's web site....

http://www.maplin.co.uk/equipment-wire-32-0.2-6199

On bulk mode this is 42 quid..... 10 mins with some wire cutters and a little solder .... all tidied up with some electrical tape does not cost the remaining money.

As for the effectiveness of such a system.

On Bands of 20m,15m+10m you may see a slight improvement...... 40m+80m there are not enough radials to make any significant difference.

Make your own..... you can build at least 2 for their price.

Other threads that may be of interest