Has Andy Murray has his strings pulled..

Captain_Chaos

Visit site
by his sponsors or does he now realise that he could do with English support at Wimbledon?

Having openly declared that he didnt want England to do well in the World Cup and that he would support whichever team was playing against them, he has now changed his tune and stated that he hopes England win on Saturday (albeit after ET and on penalties).
Miserable little twerp.
I find this attitude of certain Scots (which imho = an inferiority complex) to be quite amusing but I think I would have respected him more if had stuck to his principles and lived with the consequences.

Robin

Visit site
As far as I'm concerned I will always support England first, whatever the sport, then any other part of the UK equal second and equally enthusiastically. But what goes round comes round and silly boy Murray can go hang, he made his feelings very clear about England so in turn I hope he loses quickly and embarassingly to the lowest ranked qualifier. From what I read of his recent antics I think that might be quite likely. My lovely SWMBO is American, so maybe I can support one of them to do the deed and knock him out, 3 whitewash sets would do nicely.

Not that I hold a grudge of course!

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
Yes.... ironic isn't it.....especially as so many English fans have cheered him on in his dramatic leap to success in the last season...

So Boo Hoo.... hope Murray loses in 3 straight sets of love games.... and that the sponsors all pull out of supporting any Scottish athletes.... and hence the beginning of the end of any chance of Scotland having world class sportspeople...

What goes around comes around folks....

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Yes, they're happy to say they support us when they're taking our money as Murray is doing at Wimbleden and Brown is doing at the Treasury but as soon as they scuttle back across the border, its bigotry as usual
Yes it is a massive inferiority complex about the big rich bogeyman to the south

Jinks

Visit site
I wonder how many Tottenham/Chelsea fans wanted Arsenal to win the Champions League a few weeks ago or Man. Utd./Everton fans wanted Liverpool to win it last year? Not many I'd guess and if you're going to apply the same logic surely there should be more affinity between two areas of the same City than two regions of a larger Nation.

I don't "support" the England team because I don't feel a great deal of affinity with it. It's not a racist thing; put an English rugby player in a British Lions shirt or an English athlete in a GBR vest and I'll support them wholeheartedly because there is an affinity. I support the England cricket team because, despite the name, they represent the Nation and there is an affinity. I would guess that most (not all) Liverpool fans will be 100% behind Gary Neville on Saturday and most (not all) Tottenham fans will be 100% behind Ashley Cole though I wouldn't be surprised if there are some on the extreme side that would be prepared to see them have stinkers because their club loyalties will outweigh their National loyalties. I don't think logic applies.

I suppose the difference is that I don't want England NOT to win and Murray's stupidity in saying that he did is reaping just rewards with his lack of English support but you can't blame him for not supporting England if he doesn't feel the affinity.

tcm

Visit site
all the more so because ...

The LTA are palnning to pay for his new tennis coach, i hear. Whjcih is a bit much in any event given that h'es a pro player, but esp in the case of a mean-minded or even unsporting player.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Yes but if the boot was on the other foot, English people would support Wales, Scotland or N Ireland if they were playing in the World Cup and thats the crucial difference. Perhaps we are sentimental mugs. And if there's no affinity between people of the same bloody country ie the UK then there's no future for the Union
Then taking your argument further which country do Scots feel an affinity for if its not England in order to support their footie team in the WC apart from the obvious Wales and Ireland? Iceland, maybe or praps Faroe Islands?

Jinks

Visit site
Calm down Mike. You're trying to apply logic to emotion and that's not going to work. I'm not trying to start a war here just trying to be reasonable and honest.

Certainly there are English people, although not all, who would support the other home (note the word 'home' - i.e. where I live) nations just as there are Scottish, Welsh and Irish supporting England in this World Cup, although not all. My intention in the post was to demonstrate that I personally am all in favour of the Union and very much regard myself as British but would feel hypocritical if I supported a team sometimes and not others depending on who they were playing.

And that's not calling anyone else a hypocrite, just speaking personally.

Just for information, the only games I have watched in their entirety throughout the World Cup have been the England games (although I missed T&T through work) and have been very frustrated that so many good, very good, great players can play so poorly as a team. I'll be watching Saturday and I do wish them well.

Alrob

Visit site
calm down guys - I think you will find most scots secretly want england to do well but just dont want to admit to it (trust me I know)

the phrase green cheese springs to mind

Mike21

Visit site
You lot should listen to yourselves, English support, English fans, no use without it, should windraw support because he won't support English football.

And you call Scots bigotted or racist

British does not mean english, which to many in england forget, as it appears that in many places even scottish money is now classified as foreign currency

Personnally I wouldn't support the english football team, but it's less to do with being anti-english, as not wishing to put up with the attentant gloating and media coverage which would follow for the next 40 yrs