Harleyford Marina expansion turned down

Brayman

Visit site
I've just had a call from the local press about the decision to turn down the planning application for the extension of Harleyford Marina. Apparently Bucks County Council were in favour, as were Wycombe District Council and Marlow Town Council but the District Council Planning committee turned it down due to the amount of excavated gravel that would need to be trawled through Marlow.

byron

RIP
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Surely the gravel could be moved by water?
They do it commercially on the canal from the pit at Denham to West Drayton, and the river is much bigger than the canal............

Julian

[/ QUOTE ]
I have noticed those workings at Denham and admired the fact that they were using the Grand Union Canal in such a beneficial, constructive and productive way. I whole-heartedly agree with you, to use the river commercially would be eminently sensible.

Brayman

Visit site
Funnily enough when the lockkeeper at Temple described the plans to me a couple of years ago the idea was to move the gravel down to Spade Oak by barge - only Marlow lock to negotiate I imagine.

Gumpy

Visit site
Yes and it has put the canal back to its real depth.
There is a noticable increase in speed for me down that bit,so much so that I have to drop the revs /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Only a week to go and I will be down there on my way to the Thames (6am out of Brentford Easter Sunday) for a couple of days to see how the barge (not a narrowboat) behaves with its new engine.

Julian

Gumpy

Visit site
barges on the Thames

Being of a sensible nature I will be going upstream and not tackling the tideway through London on the engines first trip out.

Having said that I have curtailed the distance I hope to travel due to the weather forecast, as its going to be busy on the river this coming weekend.

Julian