Hanging danforth/Fortress type anchor on pullpit... Any reason why not?

Captain Crisp

Visit site
Hi is there any reason apart from aesthetics why I can't hang my Fortress anchor off the pullpit (secured with bungies) as so:

IMG_20240914_155314_MCq7YMza0d.jpeg
Thanks,
Crisp

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
I've fairly often seen it done, typically with simple small metal brackets (made of steel bar) round the tubing of the pulpit and providing rounded 'hooks' below in which the anchor cross-bar (I forget the correct name) locates, suspending the anchor. The brackets have a twist between the pulpit and anchor to provide the correct alignments. As I've seen such brackets on a number of occasions perhaps they were once commercially produced.

Provided the pulpit is sufficiently supported to take the weight of the anchor (which yours appears to be, though that central stantion may complicate suspending it below the pulpit), I see no reason why not.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I have my Danforth anchor mounted on my stanchions with the shank in a rectangular tube such the chain can also pass down the chain for easy launching.

There are tabs welded to the tubs to locate the flukes and prevent the flukes swinging about

You can see one of my anchors mounting on the very left of the picture

This shows 2 of my Danforth anchor mounts

This may be a better pic

davidmh

Visit site
The cross rod looks as if it could get a spinaker or cruising chute wrapped round it. also depending on the cut of the furling headsail it could get caught when the wind is right aft or you have to let it fly downwind
David MH

johnalison

Visit site
Our Mystere came with hooks built into the pulpit for a Danforth. We used it for many years without as problem. It is perhaps not the ideal place for more weight but it was handy enough.

Poignard

Visit site
It would very convenient having it on the pulpit for everyday cruising in clement weather, and it would help keep the foredeck clear.

You could also fit a set of chocks on the foredeck in which to lash it down if you were expecting bad weather.

Last edited:

Supertramp

Visit site
I fitted some rubber "feet" meant for walking sticks to the ends of the rod on my Fortress which stops the ends damaging things. I can store it on deck against a stanchion or pulpit but it fits nicely in the stern locker.

ashtead

Visit site
You might look at pictures of westerly centaurs as they were delivered with the anchor mounted on the front much like position in picture . The real downside is the anchor can catch Genoa sheets etc plus it’s prone to causing damage to others if rafting to close potentially so rubber end stops would be useful. Never found it jumped off the brackets but there might have been retaining bolt on one side to stop it jumping out the bracket.

ashtead

Visit site
A quick search for westerly centaur anchor brackets will reveal a number of pictures including one showing the brackets and the bolts across the top of the anchor top bar