Handheld GPS

SK700

Visit site
I love my 276 but it is not really a handheld. There is no strap for a start. I have considered the colorado as a hand held but my charts are not compatable.

carl170

halcyon23.blogspot.co.uk
Avoid the ifinder h20c. I have had a 3rd replacement in 3 weeks when I bought it in 2006. When it works it is fine, but can randomly crash after certain keypresses. The nauticpath works fine, but the navionics gold does not always work. You need to reset the unit, take the card out etc.

Lowrance have not released a single update for it either in 3 years. Nor do they answer emails.

The RC400 looks good (special offer at around £199), but will be expensive by the time you have added charts. Also it uses old style compact flash (not used by anything these days!). It has been on the market for years as well, so is past its best!.

Do you need it to be portable? If you do , then the choice is limited to either the older models or a new garmin model with their mapping.

Regards

Carl

seumask

Visit site
I've used a Garmin etrex HCX for several years now and I think it works very well. the screen is small but it really does live in your pocket and the battery life is good, I get around 20 hours use on a set of 2 duracell or around 10 hours on rechargables. I use it with Garmin Blue chart, all up cost around £220 IIRC, I might go for the Oregon 300 now but it is more money.

christo2024

Visit site
Thanks for that. I hear what you say about the Raymarine and dont wont old technology so thanks for the heads up.

I must admit, the Garmin sounds the way to go..

Yes, I want total portability so I can take it from boat to boat

Thanks again

carl170

halcyon23.blogspot.co.uk
Yes the compact flash card is still used by Raymarine. But I could not find another handheld which uses it!.

I could not find any magellan units with marine charts. The Garmin G2 vision charts look good , but pretty expensive!. Maybe the lowrance or is the way to go!

I think you may have to do the sums first! Some of the Garmin maps were about the same prices as the GPS unit!

Carl

ditchcrawler

Visit site
I have the Lowrance Map & Music mentioned above & confirm it works well as a GPS alone.I also use it as a back up plotter with a Nauticpath W.Europe chart,& although black & white it is clear & easy to use.I thought it was a bargain when I paid £60!

RAI

Visit site
The gadget that's tempting me is the iPhone 3G with navionics charts. It's not cheap, but look at all the things it can do.

Pity about the battery.