Hand-held VHF radio suggestions

philipm

Visit site
I've changed boats and my new boat (21 foot bow-rider) doesn't have a built-in vhf radio.

Can anyone recommend a hand-held vhf?

Are there any particular features I should be looking for?

I've done a bit of reading online but figure there's nothing better than real life observations from others.

Thanks!

Hot Property

Visit site

+1 for the Horizon HX890.

Really clear reception, floats, strobe activates on water contact.

I thought the FM radio was a gimmick but I actually use it .....

Brother has bought one and is also pleased.

I use the optional mic on a coily lead which is also waterproof

The vhf clips to my lifejacket and the mic is easy to use independently.

Make sure you set the GPS refresh rate to minimum as (like all hand helds) the battery will drain rapidly.

ctva

Visit site
I have the old Icom M91D, DSC hand held. Excellent service over the last 10ish years. If I was to replace it, I'd go for the M94.

Try both in your hand and see which feels better, but in your situation, definitely a DSC one which means the Icom or SH.

Last edited:

prv

Visit site
Another vote for Standard Horizon as a brand, though I’m not familiar with their DSC handhelds as I prefer the simpler kind for my purposes. As the main radio on board I can see the argument for DSC although I wouldn’t consider it mandatory.

Pete

gregcope

Visit site
Like Icom. However have an older HX870E GPS/DSC unit. Works well. Battery last for ever. 6W.

Reason I got the SH over Icom is that it came with accessories i wanted like 12V charger and spare AAA battery pack that Icom charge for. It was effectively 40% cheaper and I could not mentally justify the Icom over the SH.

Strobe is useful. As is floating. I dropped mine at 0300 after a channel crossing whilst picking up a mooring on my own. Managed to see the strobe and go back to fetch it as it floated down tide.

I lost a good icom to the depths!

Would buy another or the newer models.

Last edited:

Manosk

Visit site
Another vote also for Stanard Horizon Ihave the HX300 model ( 4 yrs) which also supports a tray for AA batteries

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
Another vote for Standard Horizon as a brand, though I’m not familiar with their DSC handhelds as I prefer the simpler kind for my purposes. As the main radio on board I can see the argument for DSC although I wouldn’t consider it mandatory.

Pete
I've had my licence since 2009 and currrent boat with DSC since 2010 and have never made a DSC call!

tross

Visit site
+1 for SH for quality of service . I sent a unit for repair and it returned within a week or so - They haven't sent an invioce yet ! ( pls don't tell them)

ashtead

Visit site
My first handheld back in 2001 was an icom IC-M31. It lost its charge but having paid out for a replacement battery it still works as a back up and has a battery tray. When looking for a dsc set went for standard horizon as mentioned. It’s bulkier than the old icom but was cheaper than the icom equivalent and so far has performed fine and seems to hold its charge. Sometimes marine superstore throw in a free cabled mike as part of an offer so you might want to check with them if /when an offer is on. Like others I haven’t used the dsc but thought it worth having given I wanted a replacement and to have one for grab bag .I feel happier though with the SH in a wet dinghy or canoe if needed.