Hand held anemometer

CJ1

Visit site
Could anyone recommend a hand held anemometer?
My masthead unit has failed and I am not going to get round to taking it down for a while, so would like to get something now as I’m just about to go on a long trip, and I’ll use it as a back up in the future.

I don’t like sailing without one, because when I’m using the spinnaker I find it hard to judge the strength of the wind and have been known to leave it too late to lower it with chaotic results.
Any advice gratefully received

ctva

Visit site
I use the Skywatch one which I like. Simple and you can get different models depending on the functions. Mine is the basic.

Hjem

Visit site
I bought one of the cheapo ones from Amazon for £20 for the same reason. Couldn't face forking out hundreds for a 'proper' yacht one. It works absolutely fine. To be honest I hardly ever use it now anyway. If the boat goes too much on its side, I put some sail away 😂

KevinV

Visit site
I have a windmate 300 - really good bit of kit but stupidly expensive. I bought it for a boat where I couldn't fit a masthead unit.

In real life I mostly just use my windward cheek for angle and the heel of the boat for strength.