Hamble waiting list - is it worth it?

Seven Spades

Visit site
Clearly the mooring fees are too low with the waiting list is that long, demand it clearly out stripping supply. It reminds me of when John Havrey-Jones went to Morgan cars in his "Troubleshooter" programme and they disclosed the length of their waiting list and he was flabbergasted. They were running a business and they clearly did not understand that with a five + year waiting list they were underselling their cars.

We had a mooring in the Hamble were disappointed, many knocks appeared when we were away it. We suspected most were made by dinghies but some were clearly made by larger boats as well.

SAMYL

Visit site
Why do you want to sail is such an overcrowded unattractive overpriced place anyway? Can you not find anywhere more pleasant and cheaper?

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Clearly the mooring fees are too low with the waiting list is that long, demand it clearly out stripping supply. It reminds me of when John Havrey-Jones went to Morgan cars in his "Troubleshooter" programme and they disclosed the length of their waiting list and he was flabbergasted. They were running a business and they clearly did not understand that with a five + year waiting list they were underselling their cars.

Whereas he in turn did not understand that (a) not everybody runs a business with the sole purpose of screwing as much money as possible out of the customers and (b) that the huge investment which would have been needed to increase Morgan production would almost certainly have dragged the company under when the short term City fad for owning Morgans died down. They ignored his advice and are still doing just fine.

Anyway, the Hamble moorings are not a commercial business and should not simply be allocated on the basis of ability to pay.

fastjedi

Visit site
Why do you want to sail is such an overcrowded unattractive overpriced place anyway? Can you not find anywhere more pleasant and cheaper?

Fortunately, there are plenty of mooring options for us all depending on budget, location, mooring type, convenience, size of boat etc, many available at a similar price to a Hamble pile mooring (even on the Solent) by the time you have taken into account car park, dinghy and storage ashore.

We love it! Compared with our lovely rural mooring on the Dart we get a lot more sailing done, are never stuck for somewhere different to go ... and quite enjoy the hussle and bussle of the Hamble + Much easier to get home than M5 north on a summer Sunday afternoon!

rwoofer

Visit site
Whereas he in turn did not understand that (a) not everybody runs a business with the sole purpose of screwing as much money as possible out of the customers and (b) that the huge investment which would have been needed to increase Morgan production would almost certainly have dragged the company under when the short term City fad for owning Morgans died down. They ignored his advice and are still doing just fine.

Anyway, the Hamble moorings are not a commercial business and should not simply be allocated on the basis of ability to pay.

I love that Morgan example because deep down I'm a believer in businesses that exist to create value, rather than just make money.

jac

Visit site

Is also the practicality to consider. If your sailing is basically limited to weekends and not being able to leave until after work / school on Friday and then need to be home to get ready for work on Monday then being close is important. We can get on board in an hour, making a weekend feasible.

If we had to drive 4 hours each way to get to the east coast or West country, then that would effectively rule out weekends - would arrive about 10pm - need to leave after lunch on Sunday and how relaxed would you be after 3-4 hours of motorway driving on a Sunday evening

JumbleDuck

Visit site
If we had to drive 4 hours each way to get to the east coast or West country, then that would effectively rule out weekends - would arrive about 10pm - need to leave after lunch on Sunday and how relaxed would you be after 3-4 hours of motorway driving on a Sunday evening

For years I kept my boat at Crinan while living in Oxford. In the last summer before I moved to Scotland I did the return trip (up on Thursday after work, down on Sunday after sailing, 500 miles each way) fourteen times in my Triumph Herald. I now have one boat a twenty minute drive away and the other one two hours and a ferry crossing away. Bliss!

Visit site

Here, Here !