Halon Replacement

3reefs

Visit site
A couple of weeks ago "Jer Bro" posted this:
...4 balloons filled with water suspended from the top of the engine bay. Approx. cost 99p! Find I have to replace them after each trip though. Does anyone have any better ideas? FM200 or Pyrwotsit?

I think this is brilliant and have been thinking about tougher containers. How about one of the flexible water carriers on sale in caravan shops (cheap) or even buoyancy bags filled with water?

Then I wondered if it was sensible to fill these containers only 50-75% full, plus some air. If engine overheats or ignites the heat melts the plastic and, because it is now under pressure, the water goes everywhere in the engine compartment. Has to be better than powder everywhere, which ruins an engine whether or not the overheating did.

G

What about a condom, I am not being stupid as I have used these in certain circumstances and found them excellent for carrying water in emergency situations, they are generally very strong. I don't know about the burning time though, I have never got one that hot /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

I am sure there will be someone on here who has experimented with that /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

G

What splendid ideas! You should mention the idea of tackling diesel or electrical fires by spraying water at them to the fire brigade. Perhaps as part of the government's modernisation plans...