Halmatic 30 Mast Compression Fix

Sailfish18

Visit site
I am currently considering a Halmatic 30 which in all respects is in good condition. However, there is noticeable compression of the pad in the deck under the mast and the cabin roof to the port side (see photo). There is no distortion of the bulkhead underneath and the compression post (which forms the corner of the heads compartment) is in good order. The drop in cabin roof is reflected inside, again, only on the port side of the compression post.
I am pretty handy with fibreglass and general repair / fabrication.

My assumption is that the core has probably softened due to water ingress somewhere around the mast base (there are a couple of through bolts in that area). I don't know what core material Halmatic used in the build up of the coach roof. Due to the large area i would prefer not to remove the outer skin as this would require a greater amount of work to reinstate and make good.

My plan would be as follows.

1. Unstep the mast.
  2. Remove headlining and cut away inner skin of coach roof.
  3. Remove defective core material.
  4. Make up former / stiffener to restore the correct profile of the coach roof and bond into place (epoxy) while supporting from below.
  5. Epoxy in replacement core material and glass over to re-form inner skin.
  6. Remove mast step and outer skin over support pad
  7. Remove defective pad and replace with epoxy / ply / stainless plate sandwich
  8. Reinstate outer skin.
I would be interested in thoughts on this approach, hints, tips, warnings..... you name it.

This is really the only thing significantly wrong with the boat apart from the usual age related issues, but should it stop me from purchasing.

I am somewhat time poor at the moment so it would have to wait until end of this year / early next year. If i choose not to do it myself could anyone recommend someone to carry out the work and ballpark (i stress ballpark before everyone jumps in and says how long is a piece of string) what this may cost. Boat is located east coast but will be moved to west coast or Northern Ireland so flexible on location for repairs.

Finally, as a regular reader of these forums it pains me to have to say this, but if all you have to add to this thread is a smart arse comment then please keep it to yourself.

Thanks.

Attachments

• compression.jpg
    compression.jpg
    994.3 KB · Views: 50

Concerto

Visit site
How bad is the distortion of the deck in the interior?

Generally most of the cause of the compression would be due to the plywood pad within the deck rotting as you suspect. Most repairs are carried out by cutting the deck around the mast base, replacing the core material with either thick plastic (plastic chopping boards is a favourite) and then reusing the deck section with only the cut joint to fill and fair. This is quicker and cheaper to do than what you are preposing.

Sorry I cannot advise about getting the work done, but again knowing where the boat is would help others to advise. The East Coast is far too loose a location as I sail in Kent and it can stretch to the Scottish border.

Sailfish18

Visit site
Hi.
If you look at the photo you can see the coach roof is angled down to the port side more than the starboard by looking at the angle of the wooden "tray" at the mast base. I suspect this is due to the core softening in this area across the roof, most likely water ingress. Consequently it looks like a bigger job than just cutting out under the mast base plinth.
Location is Essex.

Sailfish18

Visit site
Just a quick comment - epoxy needs reasonably warm temperatures in order to set and avoid 'amine blush' so if you are planning to do this job towards the end of the year then a method for heating the surrounding are a needs to be factored in (but you may already know this...). See for example How to Work With Epoxy in Cold Weather - Epoxycraft.
Hi.

Yes, i had factored that in and hopefully might get to it before the colder weather. I do have access to power so can heat the cabin internally and make a localised tent for the exterior work. Interesting link. Thank you.

Tranona

Visit site
Think I am with Concerto. Better to do it from outside. Working upside down is not easy. Remove the mast step and cut out the outer skin to where it rings true, ie where you think the rotten core ends. Almost certainly you will have to replace the pad under the mast step, so perhaps better to reveal it all and then decide how best to re-instate.

Gadget257

Visit site
As an alternative cause check the bulkhead under mast pad for rot. Being deck stepped the pad spreads the mast load along the saloon/heads bulkhead and the compression post. If the bulkhead is rotten then deck head will compress no matter the thickness of the mast pad (or at least within reason). I had to replace the some of the heads bulkheads and lap in new ply on my Halmatic 30 to resolve this. Distortion of the bulkhead may not be noticeably whilst the mast is up. Sadly my survey did not pick the rot in my bulkhead.

Sailfish18

Visit site
As an alternative cause check the bulkhead under mast pad for rot. Being deck stepped the pad spreads the mast load along the saloon/heads bulkhead and the compression post. If the bulkhead is rotten then deck head will compress no matter the thickness of the mast pad (or at least within reason). I had to replace the some of the heads bulkheads and lap in new ply on my Halmatic 30 to resolve this. Distortion of the bulkhead may not be noticeably whilst the mast is up. Sadly my survey did not pick the rot in my bulkhead.
Hi.

I get where you're coming from and i wondered that myself. However, i checked all the bulkheads out, particularly those that form the heads compartment and they all look good and also straight as a die. The starboard side and anything over the head looks as should with no drop in deck height. I'm not averse to cutting the deck out but as the boat isn't mine (yet) i don't want to take on a project as i simply don't have the time this year... i want to go sailing. Let's face it, who doesn't??

I'll see if i can find an internal photo and you will see what i mean.

Sailfish18

Visit site
Photo of where the deck has sunk and is visible inside. The section between the two arrows is clear. The starboard side of the post is as it should be.

Attachments

• Cabin.jpg
    Cabin.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 16

Gadget257

Visit site
Photo of where the deck has sunk and is visible inside. The section between the two arrows is clear. The starboard side of the post is as it should be.
Your interior woodwork looks far better than mine and now agree with your initial assessment. There is a Halmatic/Barbican 30 Owner Group on Facebook that I have exchanged maintenance information in the past.

Sailfish18

Visit site
Yes, i am in the FB group but it is very rarely posted to. Nonetheless i will give them a go and see if anyone has tackled this. I am currently negotiating to buy the boat and this is the only stumbling block. Obviously i don't want to take on something that's going to be a money pit (yes, i know.... all boats are money pits :rolleyes:), but the boat is otherwise sound. However, it isn't a small job.