Halmatic 30 for sale. Too good to be true?

Jim@sea

Visit site
Hello,

I'm keen to buy a boat next year for coastal and occasional offshore sailing.

The Halmatic 30 has always appealed to me and is high up the target list. This one has been on the market for some time and the price has been reduced at least once as far as I know.

With the caveat that the engine is 27 years old (hours unknown), the standing rigging should be replaced and the sails are of an unknown condition, it still seems like a lot of boat for the money. The exterior looks a bit tired cosmetically but the interior looks pretty good. I generally work on the principle that if it's too good to be true, it probably is. Any thoughts as to what the catch may be?

The few other Halmatics on the market are £6-7k more, so I can't help but wonder why this one is so cheap? And if there's nothing wrong with it, why someone hasn't snapped it up before now?

Many thanks,

Rob
In the past I have sold a Moody 30, Nauticat 33, Princess 33 and never had any trouble selling, beut when I came to sell a 24ft yacht for around £6000 I really struggled, Virtually all the enquiries I had were asking if it had Bilge Keels.
I realised that with my boat having a deep keel, any buyer had to keep it in a Marina at perhaps £3000 a year, (unless they already had a deep swinging mooring) so basically because it costs so much to keep a deep keel boat in a marina you can see why cheap deep keel boats are hard to sell.

In the meantime I recently sold a 22ft lifting keel boat and I was inundated with enquiries and it was sold very quickly.

This could be why this Halmatic 30 has not sold, and boats like this could be expensive to transport.

Wasent the Halmatic 30 built at the same yard as the Nicholson 32, and am I right in thinking that some were for home assembly.

Tranona

Visit site
In the past I have sold a Moody 30, Nauticat 33, Princess 33 and never had any trouble selling, beut when I came to sell a 24ft yacht for around £6000 I really struggled, Virtually all the enquiries I had were asking if it had Bilge Keels.
I realised that with my boat having a deep keel, any buyer had to keep it in a Marina at perhaps £3000 a year, (unless they already had a deep swinging mooring) so basically because it costs so much to keep a deep keel boat in a marina you can see why cheap deep keel boats are hard to sell.

In the meantime I recently sold a 22ft lifting keel boat and I was inundated with enquiries and it was sold very quickly.

This could be why this Halmatic 30 has not sold, and boats like this could be expensive to transport.

Wasent the Halmatic 30 built at the same yard as the Nicholson 32, and am I right in thinking that some were for home assembly.
Not sure why you posted this as you have clearly not read the thread.

You only have to read the last half dozen or so to find it has been sold, but not to the original poster

donm

Visit site
Apparently there is a plate embedded in the deck lay up and that’s what causes the distortion, but the remedy that can be seen on most boats is a series of brackets fixed to the bulkheads. Mine haven’t moved in the last 15 years but don’t leak either. I don’t know if the original fixings were removed and replaced by longer ones into the bracket but I imagine that’s the only way to retrofit them so maybe slacking off the connection “u” bolt tapping upwards and re-bedding and re-tightening would do the job?
Thanks for the quick response, the previous survey mentioned the decks had deformed but the chainplate attachment was secure. I thought I could live with it however, on closer inspection the stainless top plate is bent and the likely cause of a leak if I am going to remove it to sort the leak then I might as well re-do it. Consequently I'm looking for options, external chainplate or cut out and repair deck bulge. Think perhaps investigating the underside is the first step. The boat deserves to have symmetrically flat decks.
PS I'll attach ome pics when I get some

Jameschristopher

Visit site
Thanks Donm,
I'm sure the job done is strong enough, the problem is I'm not ! No matter how hard I try to ignore the bulge I know it's there and all boats "in my humble opinion " should be aesthetically pleasing. I removed some of the coverings in the area of the chainplate's the cap shroud are a good looking retro repair but the lowers are very poor. External chainplate's seem like the way forward.

Goldie

Visit site
My understanding was that Halmatic commissioned John Sharp to design the Halmatic 30 for them to produce when Nicholson ceased building the Nicholson 32 which was also moulded by Halmatic. I think you’re right in your thinking that some mouldings were sold for home completion but as I sold my Halmatic 30 in 1995, memory is a bit hazy!