Hallberg Rassy 352 engine change

peterN

www.yachtvalhalla.com
I want to replace the Volvo Penta 2003T engine in a HR352 with a Beta Marine 38hp. Does any one have experience or advice on this, such as suitability, ease of the replacement and cost?

Tranona

Visit site
Beta will have brackets to mount in the same space as the Volvo. You will need a new prop and no doubt other anciliary items such as plumbing and exhaust replaced at the same time.

Budget £8-10k if having it done professionally - of which labour will be around £1500 depending on how much dismantling there is to access the old engine.

pvb

Visit site
I had a 352 for a long time. The engine compartment is fairly tight on space. The Beta 38 should fit in terms of width, but I believe it's around 100mm longer than the 2003T, so you need to do some very careful measuring before deciding.

The hatch in the cockpit floor isn't huge, so it may be necessary to remove some bits to get the old engine out, and similarly to get a new engine in.

One other thought: when the engine's out you'll have the ability to access the fuel tank in the keel. If you're worried about the integrity of the bottom of the tank, which sits in bilge water, you might consider removing it to check.

Edit: Also consider the Volvo Penta D2-40, which is a bit shorter than the Beta 38.

Last edited:

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
I had a 352 for a long time. The engine compartment is fairly tight on space. The Beta 38 should fit in terms of width, but I believe it's around 100mm longer than the 2003T, so you need to do some very careful measuring before deciding.

The hatch in the cockpit floor isn't huge, so it may be necessary to remove some bits to get the old engine out, and similarly to get a new engine in.

One other thought: when the engine's out you'll have the ability to access the fuel tank in the keel. If you're worried about the integrity of the bottom of the tank, which sits in bilge water, you might consider removing it to check.

Edit: Also consider the Volvo Penta D2-40, which is a bit shorter than the Beta 38.

I second the idea of taking the opportunity to inspect/replace the fuel tank when the engines out. I don't own a HR but friends do and had a nightmare replacing the fuel tank after it split. I'd be tempted to fit a plastic replacement to avoid the corrosion problems in the future.

wully1

Visit site
Many thanks, Tranola. From what you say, I guess the propshaft rotation is in the opposite direction to the 2003T. Am I correct?

You are correct. I replaced a 2003 in my old Eclipse with a Beta 30 which is a superb engine. Beta were very helpful and supportive.
I replaced the shaft and prop also. I fitted a Kiwi prop which I was also very happy with.

peterN

www.yachtvalhalla.com
You are correct. I replaced a 2003 in my old Eclipse with a Beta 30 which is a superb engine. Beta were very helpful and supportive.
I replaced the shaft and prop also. I fitted a Kiwi prop which I was also very happy with.

That's very helpful. I've got a very expensive Brunton Autoprop that I wouldn't want to replace. I'll have to think again!

peterN

www.yachtvalhalla.com

Great advice, many thanks. I've read that the D2-40 had serious reliability issues, particularly with corrosion of the heat exchanger. If that has been sorted it would be a consideration as the Beta runs the other way to the 2003T and I don't want to change the prop !

EuanMcKenzie

Visit site
I have a HR Rasmus which had a MD21A I replaced it with a beta 35 rather than a 38.

Having studied the literature they are both based on the same 1600cc engine and the key difference is the 38 revs higher to give the extra 3 BHP and at a level I would never really run an engine at. It may be worth checking the calcs. etc as I saved a reasonable sum selecting the 35 rather than the 38 and it has proved excellent.
I did reprop to match the engine and it has been worthwhile both in low speed boat handling and economy.
Finally i got "southhampton boat show discount" through my beta dealer and its worth selecting the right time of year if it isn't urgent.
I had the tank cleaned, new exhaust, prop, controls etc and with both the above savings still put the total bill at the bottom end of what has been quoted below. (Port Bannatyne boatyard on Bute were excellent)

Sybarite

Visit site

I was invited to inspect a HR 352. The owner had a generator fitted in front of the engine and so I wouldn't have thought that the length of the main engine would be an issue.

pvb

Visit site
I was invited to inspect a HR 352. The owner had a generator fitted in front of the engine and so I wouldn't have thought that the length of the main engine would be an issue.

There's a locker forward of the engine compartment, which is presumably where the generator was fitted. There's a bulkhead between the locker and the engine compartment. Of course, bulkheads can be chopped about, but it's preferable not to.

Tranona

Visit site
Great advice, many thanks. I've read that the D2-40 had serious reliability issues, particularly with corrosion of the heat exchanger. If that has been sorted it would be a consideration as the Beta runs the other way to the 2003T and I don't want to change the prop !

All modern engines run the other way unless you get a gearbox that can run either way - which you can get for the Betas of that size. Alternatively you can have your Bruntons rebuilt. Sure Beta will advice the appropriate gearbox.

Not aware of the HE problems on the D2.

peterN

www.yachtvalhalla.com
That's interesting, the boat is in Greece and the Beta is not popular there and there is little local technical support. Has anyone experience of the Volvo Penta D2-40 in aHR352?

Tranona

Visit site
That's interesting, the boat is in Greece and the Beta is not popular there and there is little local technical support. Has anyone experience of the Volvo Penta D2-40 in aHR352?

Would not be too worried about that. The reason there are few Betas there is because the re-engine market is very limited. However the basic engine is Kubota and there are probably thousands of those in use in Greece. The Beta marinisation parts are very simple and their service from the factory is excellent.

Doubt you will find anybody with direct experience of a D2 40 in a 352, but it is the right size and no more difficult/easy to retrofit. There is very little to choose between the main brands - they are all marinised Japanese industrial engines. The Volvo and Yanmar are the most popular engines in Greece because those engines are fitted to virtually all new charter boats.

Rafiki

Visit site
I have a D2-40, not in an HR though. The previous owner replaced a Volvo 2003 with it. Now done 1000 hours, no problems. The only issue is that the electronic starting ( no key required) seems to be very sensitive to the voltage ( and possibly amps) in the battery. When I first bought the boat and delivered it on 5 day trip no problems, but once it had sat in the marina not on shore power for 3 weeks it wouldn't start unless domestic batteries were used in parralel. A new starter battery and bigger cables sorted out the problem.
It will be a lot cheaper if you can avoid changing too many ancillaries. Also if boat is in Greece think carefully about support/ availability of skilled engineers.

Pagetslady

Visit site
I changed my VP 2003 for a Beta 35. Had a few issues at first but very happy now Beta are very helpful it is possible to use. Your present prop, if you use a gearbox fitted with a heat exchanger, I was offered this by Beta but decided against it, I had cooling problems, which were cured by fitting a 10 blade impeller instead of the 6 blade. If I had not fitted a Tempature gauge I would not have know how hot it was and most likely wouldn't have set off the alarm anyway. I also had a gearbox problem which Beta replaced for me no charge, there was a problem that caused it to whine very loudly, it has now done 500 hours is running fine, that was 4 years ago, as already mentioned Bruntons will re pitch your prop, not sure how much you would save over a new one, I sold my old Bruntons prop and bought a new one all works well now. I know Beta offer to make your engine mounts to fit for a fee which is worth it but mine didn't fit not far off but needed some modification.
Mike