Half day wasted looking for hatch stay !

Refueler

Visit site
Today - had some spare time and decided to have a look in the Chandlers for a common flat metal adjustable hatch stay ... not the telescopic rod type ...
The type that looks more like a kitchen drawer runner with locking screw knob.

I had ordered 2 of eBay but courier lost them and seller refunded me ... with my travelling to UK - I naturally thought - OK - pick a couple up here .....

Ha Ha !!

So this weekend when free again ... for a few hours - will try out the Caravan shops ... as same is used for caravan windows ...

Oh ... and while thinking about driving round looking for stuff ... my hire car is a MG ZS 1.5 Exclusive .... what a POS !! Its so slow to speed up - even vans overtake it !! Its one of those cars that functions are not obvious and annoy !! I cannot believe MG would put their name to such as this motorised 'tesco' shopping trolley !!

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I this the type of stay you re looking for

https://www.buco.co.za/media/catalo...e3758997b37695340481a6a01be34d41c_1243497.jpg
30204b1e3758997b37695340481a6a01be34d41c_1243497.jpg

Neeves

Visit site
MG is not what it was, now a Chinese brand
MG and a bunch of other brands, Riley and Austin sold to Shanghai Automobile some, actually many, years ago. The only association with MG is the name - which in the 'Anglo Saxon' world is a highly reputable name and a good move by SAIC. The association is actually less than skin deep (but the association to MG has been something on which to build).

It would be interesting to know how many think there is a deeper connection.

Interestingly BYD and GWM are said to be better buys.

Refueler

Visit site
MG is not what it was, now a Chinese brand

I have a Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8 (one of the last run of L322 - 2012) and a T5 Volvo XC70 as own cars back in Latvia ...

RR is of course the JLR of Tata India ... and tbh - Tata took an unreliable vehicle and sorted it well. An absolute pleasure to drive.

The Volvo is Chinese and again a pleasure to drive - if you don't mind the fuel consumption ! It actually is less economical than the RR I have !!

The Hire Car Co threww an unexpected cost at me on collecting the car because of I use Debit cards ... I was not so happy and politely let them know ... they upgraded my car from the Seat Leon to the MG ... Upgrade ? I have a pal who's second car is a Leon and its a better car overall than this MG ..

Anyway .. I only mentioned it the opening post as I'd just been driving it and bit frustrated !!

Neeves

Visit site
For the supporting strut you are looking for....

with a bit of effort, on the keyboard, you will find them on Aliexpress.

I guess this is not you want - but this was a 10 second search

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000032549355.html

We bought 4 a couple of years ago. Don't recall source but heavy duty stainless, strong, cheap as chips.

They might not make what we recall as an MG - but they do well elsewhere.

Jonathan

Refueler

Visit site
For the supporting strut you are looking for....

with a bit of effort, on the keyboard, you will find them on Aliexpress.

I guess this is not you want - but this was a 10 second search

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000032549355.html

We bought 4 a couple of years ago. Don't recall source but heavy duty stainless, strong, cheap as chips.

They might not make what we recall as an MG - but they do well elsewhere.

Jonathan

As I said - I had paid and ordered but seller let me know they were told by courier - lost in transit ...

So instead of re-ordering - as I was travelling to UK - decided that it would be easier and quicker to buy over counter in UK ... Ha Ha !!

I have found plenty of right size on AliE / eBay etc. .... today I will be on way to business meeting - I will pass a large Caravan Dealers - will stop and see what they can offer ... the stays were common on caravans ... like many things on boats - they came from caravan use ! But if no luck - then its online again.

Refueler

Visit site
Finally success ....

Tried all Caravan shops / dealers around Portsmouth / Chichester ... all Chandlers same areas .... and only Gas Struts / plastic ended that is same as the broken on the boat ...
Its why I want the old style all metal flat runner bar version.

I was driving round using up time yesterday before a meeting. Basically looking to see how things have changed over the years away. Yeh - well - not impressed at all !!
But I passed Force 4 on way to Witterings ... so dropped in ... Viola !! Thery had the exact item ... but only one. Grabbed and paid !!

Its possible to use only one ... but would be nice to balance with two.

Today - being saturday and meeting is not till early evening (we do a lot of biz meetings in pubs !!) - I decided to have a look over at Swanwick .. maybe meet some old pals ... dropped into what I expected to see : Aladdins Cave - which of course is now Force 4 ... Viola - they had one ...

So now I have the two stays exactly wanted ...

OK - price is a bit stiff compared to eBay ..but they are now in my bag to go back with me to Latvia ...

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-09-02 at 14.11.47.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-09-02 at 14.11.47.jpeg
    300.4 KB · Views: 11

ianat182

Visit site
I was going to suggest the Boat Breakers in Gosport , and the Chandlery Barge (opposite Force 4 on river side} they do the older stock items for Westerly et al , They are on-line too for enquiry .

Ian