Guy Thompson T27

wells01

Visit site
Has anyone had experience or any information of the Guy Thompson designed T27 or T24. I can find no info at all on the internet.

<hr width=100% size=1>

warrior40

Visit site
They are cold moulded wood sailing boats that sail well. many are tired and neglected. The actor who played Alf garnet owned one and there was an article in, IOct issue of YM, 2000

<hr width=100% size=1>

jamesjermain

Visit site
I have a feeling some of them at least were GRP hulled with wooden decks and superstructure. Whatever, they were quick in their day and popular cruiser racers

<hr width=100% size=1>JJ

paulrossall

Visit site
I am amazed that it is said a T27 is "tipy". jmp who posted an answer on the other forum had a T24 and says the T27 is same boat with counter stern. The T 24 I have sailed in is a stable boat and a dream to sail. It is responsive, great going into wind and I could not fault it. The woden superstructure does have to be kept in order. The article refered to in YM is about Alf Garnet and does not tell you anything about the T27. It is not worth buying. I am of to Marbella to sail jmp's old boat which another mate now owns and we will be out almost regardless of the weather.

<hr width=100% size=1><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by paulrossall on 25/04/2003 18:43 (server time).</FONT></P>

derekgillard

Visit site
I sailed a T24 (White Wings) for over 15 years, she was a great sea boat and good in a blow, if a little slow in light conditions. We sailed her to France the Channel Islands and the West Country in all conditions with no concerns.

They were built on the East Coast and ours was GRP but with a wooden deck and coach roof, I understand around 120 T24,s were built the earlier ones (20 or so)had a cut away stern. They were roomy down below with a head in the front cabin seperated by a partition from the sleeping area, 4 people could be on board without too much problem.

As I understand the T27 was the same down below but had a longer water line they were not so popular.

A good T 24 can be had for around £6,000 and I would say they are a good first boat.

Del Buoy

<hr width=100% size=1>

ashanta

Visit site
There are 3 Guy Thompson designs. the other one is the T31. The T31 and T24 were designed for the IOR racing of the day, late sixties and seventies. The T31 was designed for the 1/2 ton class. The reason for using teal ply for the decks and cold moulded coach roof was a deliberate one, in that Guy Thompson wanted to keep as much weight as low as possible to gain an advantage over the yachts being built totally of GRP. It has nothing to do with age, cost or construction cost savings.
I own a T31 which I bought in a sorry state and had it totally rebuilt. She fast easy to handle and will sail to windward very well. Like most IOR boats of this era she does not like to sail directly before the wind.
Another feature was a trim tab which was situated parallel and below the main tiller. Mine has been removed (I only cruise) but my friend, who also owns a T31 which is still rigged and prepared as a racing yacht has one fitted.
These yachts raced succesfully, My friends boat won the round the Island race init's class many years ago(previous owner) beating the other 1/2 tonners of the day, Contessa's, Sadlers, Holman's, S&S's etc.
The T24 is very similar to the T31. the T24 being wider at the stern. Don't be put off with wood. These boats are a secret yet to be discovered. My boat is 33 years old and will last another 33yrs because when they built the hulls they had no idea what thickness the layup should be so they over built them.

<hr width=100% size=1>

jmp

Visit site
Re: Guy Thompson T27 (re -ashanta)

Well said "these boats are a secret to be discovered"!

Not just 3 designs .I have watched Thompson designs Over more years than I would like to admit, and owned a T24.
The 3 you mention are those with reasonably large production runs.
Thompson was designing fin & skeg yachts before oters I beleive.He designed & built a number of one offs for himself and others .
I remember a small 22' or so (Huckleberry),which was devastating at Burnham week many years ago.

Thompsons own boats were named "Calliope"if I have spelled it right(probably 5 or so).He was a highly accomplished sailor and Ocean racer in his day .I think he was winner of one of the RORC classes For the season ,at least once.

Please excuse my fanaticism,but Thompson boats were very good ,as were his capabilities as a sailor and designer. The boating world lost a great advocate for our sport on his demise.

By the way he designed a 12 Metre,which but for a sad misfortune on behalf of the sponsor,may well have changed the course of history.
Must stop enthusing --Wish I knew much more--May try to obtain some info to document!

<hr width=100% size=1>jmp