Guidelines for First Aid and Safety

mlines

www.sportsboat.org.uk
I am about to enter into an argument with another (non-boating) organisation about boating activities.

They naturally insist that the leader of a boating activity holds the relevant nationally recognised certification. In this case, its an RYA Offshore Skipper qual.

However, they are also demanding that the RYA Offshore Skipper also holds a recognised First Aid qualification.

Now I must emphasis that it is not under dispute that someone on the activity should hold a First Aid qualification. In the past we have put two qualified adults on the activity, one with the Skipper Qual and one with the First Aid. This makes sense to me as the Skipper can maintain the helm/boat safety while the First Aider deals with the Firs Aid incident. If the Skipper was also the nominated First Aider then they would be forced to leave the helm to deal with the incident.

I remember during some of my training (no I am not the Skipper in question) mention was made about the division of roles such as this and wondered if anyone could point me to written RYA guidelines in this area, particularly the having to leave command/helm to deal with incidents.

I know the answer is to get everyone First AId trained , but this is an expensive and time consuming task to get everyone trained and as I see it, as long as there is a First Aider on-board this represents the minimum standard and it is beneficial if they are not the command/helm.

Doghousekeeper

Visit site
You could try referring to MGN 280, the document that defines what's needed on coded boats. The manning requirements insist that there is a First Aider on board, but it doesn't have to be the skipper

Thistle

Visit site
"Offshore Skipper"? I take it you mean "Yachtmaster Offshore"? In that case, isn't holding a valid First Aid qualification a necessary pre-requisite? And doesn't that imply a need to keep the First Aid qualification live to keep the YM live (morally if not actually laid down by RYA)?

In any case, doesn't an organisation have the right to set its own rules, perhaps subject to laid-down minima?

st599

Visit site
"Offshore Skipper"? I take it you mean "Yachtmaster Offshore"? In that case, isn't holding a valid First Aid qualification a necessary pre-requisite? And doesn't that imply a need to keep the First Aid qualification live to keep the YM live (morally if not actually laid down by RYA)?

In any case, doesn't an organisation have the right to set its own rules, perhaps subject to laid-down minima?

Yep, first aid is a prerequisite for the exam.

Ubergeekian

Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbri
www.drmegaphone.com
This makes sense to me as the Skipper can maintain the helm/boat safety while the First Aider deals with the Firs Aid incident. If the Skipper was also the nominated First Aider then they would be forced to leave the helm to deal with the incident.

I believe that a lot of this yachtmastering business is about delegation and crew management, no? So why should the skipper have to be at the helm all the time - does he ever sleep, eat or go to the toilet?

prv

Visit site
why should the skipper have to be at the helm all the time - does he ever sleep, eat or go to the toilet?

Sidetracking from the OP's (entirely reasonable) point, I'd suggest that a skipper on a fully-crewed boat probably shouldn't be at the helm most of the time. Certainly the captain (or even officer of the watch) on a ship wouldn't be. The commander of an armoured vehicle is never also the driver.

Maybe it's just that I find helming fairly boring, but if I have crew who can steer reasonably competently, I let them get on with it as much as possible.

Pete

nautibull

Visit site
A Yachtmaster must have a current First Aid certificate at the time of his exam, whether he renews it is up to him. If operating commercially then he must have a current First Aid certificate. As the person in charge of the boat and crew his decisions should be guided by his knowledge and training and a good skipper will keep his certificate up to date. As skipper, he should be on the helm very rarely, delegation is an important part of the job.

FergusM

Visit site
I first studied first aid in the 1970s. Some years ago, I decided to update my certificates, and to become a First Aid Volunteer with the Red Cross. My reason was that any skill (think especially of languages) atrophies if it is not used.

In my view, even if you don't go down the road I took (it's not very onerous - you volunteer to cover any event that takes your fancy, training is one evening a month in the winter), you should keep up to date. For example, the method of cpr (rescue breaths and resuscitation) has changed in the past three years, with much less emphasis on the rescue breaths.

You never know when you'll need to use first aid. I was driving into Lockerbie, and I saw an elderly bloke covered in blood. He had been walking his neighbour's dog, and the dog had pulled him flat on his face. I got him cleaned and bandaged up, and called the ambulance.

Everyone going out in a boat regularly should be able to give first aid, and know what to do if, God forbid, the skipper has a heart attack, or someone gets clouted with the boom, or falls down the hatch, or manages to pour boiling water over their hand when they're making a brew. Boats can be a risky environment!

The Red Cross, St John's and St Andrews' ambulance services are only too happy to train you. Going through a new course every three winters is hardly excessive. Even if you have the certificate, look through your first aid book occasionally, just to refresh your memory. Leaving it in the bog is a useful idea

Doghousekeeper

Visit site
A Yachtmaster must have a current First Aid certificate at the time of his exam, whether he renews it is up to him. If operating commercially then he must have a current First Aid certificate.

Are you sure? Where does it say that a commercial skipper must have a current First Aid cert? It isn't in the MCA manning requirements for coded boats, nor on the commercial endorsement application from the RYA.

BTW, I'm all in favour of the skipper having the qualification - it makes a lot of sense - but I haven't found anything that makes it mandatory

nautibull

Visit site
Very interesting, having had an 'Oh ****' moment renewing mine a couple of years ago when I had to find a first aid course very quickly as RYA was looking for a 1st aid cert but certainly not on the form now.
A certificate is required for STWC endorsement but MGN 280 annexe 3 only requires the skipper or a crew member to be 1st aid trained which in a way answers the posters question.
All a bit fuzzy or is it just me getting older.