Greenwich meridian

srm

Visit site
Does it really matter?
Hudson Bay Company ships would measure their longitude from the Kames of Hoy (big cliffs on the west of Orkney) when heading outbound for Canada.
I had a Norwegian chart (1:50,000) for an area up in the arctic printed using old plates with longitude scale measured from Oslo, and a second scale with long from Greenwich added later.
Measuring latitude from the equator makes sense but longitude is just east or west from wherever.

srm

Visit site
Is this the origin of charts being reissued updated to WGS84 ?

I still have some older ones in a cupboard.
Yes, each country had its own lat/long model that suited their land mapping. This caused interesting problems when they were projected out in to the North Sea and defining boundaries in the early days of oil/gas exploration. A new North Sea geodetic datum was agreed for rig positioning etc. Then GPS came along and that was the first international geodetic datum. The Russian sat nav system used their own datum, but also being based on the earth's gravity is very close to WGS84. If @AntarcticPilot is around he can probably go into further detail.

Last edited:

justanothersailboat

Visit site
I've been to Greenwich fairly recently. They are pretty upfront about where different meridians were set over time (originally usually in line with the axis of the latest fixed-axis survey telescope used for a more accurate star map) and there is a sign indicating how far away in the park the GPS datum is. It's hardly Airy's fault that the methods the GPS designers had to determine the centre of the Earth weren't available to him.