Greek residency

Garold

Visit site
Hi, what did you use as an address?
When I tried they would not accept the quayside where my boat was moored, I did not have a marina contract at the time

I think that it may be different in differing areas. We did ours at Vliho police station and they accepted the address of the IBA pontoon in Nidri as our Greek address.

Tony Cross

Visit site
Tony, what other option is out there, share what card do you have? This has come from Residence Certificate Residence Permit in Greece
Brexit Update for UK Citizens Living in Greece "The current rules are that all UK nationals RESIDENT in Greece should apply for a registration
certificate whatever their status.

There is plenty of good information on the web that is easily found so this paraphrasing should not be needed.
It is/was a registration card in the big scheme of things. I believe 5 x years of this allows (allowed) you the blue card?
No one on here knows what is going to happen in the future but when a publication gives advice wouldn't you agree it should be heeded by whatever means necessary?
'resident in Greece' means living in Greece. If you read what it says on the front of both cards it's specifically for EU citizens spending more than 90 days (buff card) or more than 5 years (blue card) in Greece (that's what we have).

It is quite true that these cards will be acceptable after Dec 2020 and until the biometric cards are introduced, but my point is that nobody yet knows what the process will be for swapping the buff and blue cards for biometric cards. Knowing Greece quite well I'm simply cautioning that it may not be as simple as you imagine and there may be other checks carried out. Greece may want to check for example that all those applying for biometric residence cards really are properly resident in Greece.

grumpygit

Visit site
Your statement on the present card scheme is correct. Apologies if I'm looking too deep into your postings and seeing negatives
What I am trying to get across is that anyone who wants to stay in Greece (or wants EU association) more than 90 days must try and obtain the buff card regardless anyone's perception of its importance and before the end of 2020, it is achievable.
Imho it would be complete folly not to try and find a way to accomplish this.
The rest no one knows and I wouldn't dare to pre-empt or speculate beyond the issue of the biometric card. There may well be grandfather rights to card holders. Whatever, well have to cross that bridge when the facts are at hand.

Clancy Moped

Visit site
I'm sure you probably know what your doing but just take care if your a resident in Spain and keep a boat there your open for taxes if you dont import it
More than aware Vic, but thank you, we sold our boat, and when this shit shower is over and everyone knows the score is we will begin to look for another.

Last edited:

nortada

Visit site
I'm due to pick up my Spanish biometric card on the 15th of this month, seems other countries are dragging their heels.

Good to hear.

Portugal has already advised that the issue of our biometric permits are running behind schedule, so don't expect them this year - no suprises there.

However, our existing residency documentation will remain valid (after 31/12/20 until they replace it. I could make it interesting arriving in Saville (where they would expect to be presented with a biometric permit) and giving them apparently out-of-date Portuguese documentation. Think I might confine my entry point to Faro.

Could you advise are you a temporary (5 year) or permanent resident and did you have to jump through any more hoops or as existing EU (Spanish) residents, did enjoy grandfather rights?

Oh yes how much did the biometric permits cost?

Clancy Moped

Visit site
Good to hear.

Portugal has already advised that the issue of our biometric permits are running behind schedule, so don't expect them this year - no suprises there.

However, our existing residency documentation will remain valid (after 31/12/20 until they replace it. I could make it interesting arriving in Saville (where they would expect to be presented with a biometric permit) and giving them apparently out-of-date Portuguese documentation. Think I might confine my entry point to Faro.

Could you advise are you a temporary (5 year) or permanent resident and did you have to jump through any more hoops or as existing EU (Spanish) residents, did enjoy grandfather rights?

Oh yes how much did the biometric permits cost?
Temp 5 years . No real hoops, form filling and booking an appointment online, copy's of nie front and back also passport, plus new photo for them, the cost is €12 which is payable on line in advance.

nortada

Visit site
Temp 5 years . No real hoops, form filling and booking an appointment online, copy's of nie front and back also passport, plus new photo for them, the cost is €12 which is payable on line in advance.

Many thanks. Very helpful.

Just hope that it is as easy elsewhere, when it comes along.

I bet some countries will make a meal of it.

grumpygit

Visit site
We got our buff cards without an address. Because that seemed odd, we used an agent - Helen Morgan in Nidri.
Some address has to go in the boxes of the application, the main point is that you got your cards by one way or another.
If you want to go the whole hog and jump through hoops here's a challenge
Greece Coronavirus Cases | September 2020 Data

Tony Cross

Visit site
Your statement on the present card scheme is correct. Apologies if I'm looking too deep into your postings and seeing negatives
What I am trying to get across is that anyone who wants to stay in Greece (or wants EU association) more than 90 days must try and obtain the buff card regardless anyone's perception of its importance and before the end of 2020, it is achievable.
Imho it would be complete folly not to try and find a way to accomplish this.
The rest no one knows and I wouldn't dare to pre-empt or speculate beyond the issue of the biometric card. There may well be grandfather rights to card holders. Whatever, well have to cross that bridge when the facts are at hand.
Yes, that's absolutely correct.

My concern from reading a lot of posts on this and similar threads is that there seems to be an impression that cruisers can register in Greece, and possibly a couple of other countries too, and that this will allow them to continue cruising between those countries after Dec 2020 without having to worry about the 90/180 day rule.

My perceived negativity on this is simply a desire to caution that it may well not be that simple.

When your register as an EU citizen in another EU country (and get the buff card) all you're declaring is that you will spend more than 90 days in that country. This is not the same as being granted residence in that country because a) EU citizens have a right of residence in any EU country in any case and b) you're only declaring that you're going to live in that country for more than 90 days - not permanently.

My caution is that exchanging the buff (more than 90 days) EU card for a permanent biometric residence card may well not be a simple swap. Since UK citizens will then not be EU citizens there will be no 'right of residence', so obtaining a biometric residence card may well require actual proof of residence. Those of us who are already permanently resident in Greece have nothing to worry about of course, because it's easy for us to demonstrate that we permanently reside here. My reason for banging on about this is that I fear that cruisers who do not permanently reside in Greece, or who cannot provide whatever documents the Greeks require to prove that they really are resident here, may have difficulty exchanging the simple buff registration card form the more specific permanent resident (biometric) card. Residence is a way of life, not a convenience.

Although you're quite right that we don't have any firm details of what comes next I would suggest that cruisers would do well to do whatever they can to prove residence in at least one EU country. A couple of consecutive annual marina contracts would probably be good enough, but residence anywhere requires a commitment to live long-term in that country, it's not simply a case of obtaining the buff card.

grumpygit

Visit site
Yes, that's absolutely correct.

My concern from reading a lot of posts on this and similar threads is that there seems to be an impression that cruisers can register in Greece, and possibly a couple of other countries too, and that this will allow them to continue cruising between those countries after Dec 2020 without having to worry about the 90/180 day rule.

My perceived negativity on this is simply a desire to caution that it may well not be that simple.

When your register as an EU citizen in another EU country (and get the buff card) all you're declaring is that you will spend more than 90 days in that country. This is not the same as being granted residence in that country because a) EU citizens have a right of residence in any EU country in any case and b) you're only declaring that you're going to live in that country for more than 90 days - not permanently.

My caution is that exchanging the buff (more than 90 days) EU card for a permanent biometric residence card may well not be a simple swap. Since UK citizens will then not be EU citizens there will be no 'right of residence', so obtaining a biometric residence card may well require actual proof of residence. Those of us who are already permanently resident in Greece have nothing to worry about of course, because it's easy for us to demonstrate that we permanently reside here. My reason for banging on about this is that I fear that cruisers who do not permanently reside in Greece, or who cannot provide whatever documents the Greeks require to prove that they really are resident here, may have difficulty exchanging the simple buff registration card form the more specific permanent resident (biometric) card. Residence is a way of life, not a convenience.

Although you're quite right that we don't have any firm details of what comes next I would suggest that cruisers would do well to do whatever they can to prove residence in at least one EU country. A couple of consecutive annual marina contracts would probably be good enough, but residence anywhere requires a commitment to live long-term in that country, it's not simply a case of obtaining the buff card.

I totally agree Tony and you are probably very correct in your analogy. The task may be a complete waste of time but what I am suggesting is that it is far better to have than not. This is because we don't know how it will all pan out in the times to come but these suspected problems normally do have a way of working out.
There is so much information out there, on here that it is down to the individual who is quite able to choose their route . . . .imho, it's best not to jump until pushed.

nortada

Visit site
An excellent summary on the possible future confronting cruisers and all who want greater freedom of movement within the Schengen Zone.

As this subject is bigger than any Schengen country and rather than an EU issue, residency is strictly a national matter, with EU countries having very different rules, rather than thread drift, I have floated a new thread to share thoughts on EU residency and possibly multiple residency in the future.

I recognise that at best this will be speculation but pooled thoughts may just offer the best options for the future.

grumpygit

Visit site
An excellent summary on the possible future confronting cruisers and all who want greater freedom of movement within the Schengen Zone.

As this subject is bigger than any Schengen country and rather than an EU issue, residency is strictly a national matter, with EU countries having very different rules, rather than thread drift, I have floated a new thread to share thoughts on EU residency and possibly multiple residency in the future.

I recognise that at best this will be speculation but pooled thoughts may just offer the best options for the future.

I suppose as far as Greece goes this extract from the Greek Reporter is as settling as any

"Legislation called “4652/2020” regulates matters relating to access to work, social security and medical and hospital coverage, recognition of professional and academic qualifications and the use of driving licenses issued by the United Kingdom, as well as the ability to remain, to study and work in the country as before.

In brief, all British citizens who came to Greece before Brexit, will be able to enjoy the same rights as all other EU citizens according to this legislation."

nortada

Visit site
I suppose as far as Greece goes this extract from the Greek Reporter is as settling as any

"Legislation called “4652/2020” regulates matters relating to access to work, social security and medical and hospital coverage, recognition of professional and academic qualifications and the use of driving licenses issued by the United Kingdom, as well as the ability to remain, to study and work in the country as before.

In brief, all British citizens who came to Greece before Brexit, will be able to enjoy the same rights as all other EU citizens according to this legislation."

Many thank - very reassuring

As I read it, provided you have residency, which will get you around the Schengen requirements, life should continue very much as before?