Greek cruising tax......again!

jonrarit

Visit site
so following on from earlier discussion, I emailed our insurers (Y Yacht). This was the first they had heard of this new enforcement but they were more than happy to supply original documents. They arrived today .... absolutely indistinguishable from the set that came of my own printer! :)

Anyway, thumped them (the documents that is) with our official looking, red ships stamp, scrawled a signature on it and shoved it through the laminator ..... will let you know what the PP say when I'm there in May :)

jonathan

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
so following on from earlier discussion, I emailed our insurers (Y Yacht). This was the first they had heard of this new enforcement but they were more than happy to supply original documents. They arrived today .... absolutely indistinguishable from the set that came of my own printer! :)

Anyway, thumped them (the documents that is) with our official looking, red ships stamp, scrawled a signature on it and shoved it through the laminator ..... will let you know what the PP say when I'm there in May :)

jonathan

We are also with Y-Yacht and always have our documents emailed. Are they still using the silly, faintly pink coloured, background? I always have to remove the background colour when printing so that the writing is legible.

The final document is also completely indistinguishable from the originals (as long as the person examining them has never seen the originals :D:D).

Last edited:

Chris_Robb

Visit site
We are also with Y-Yacht and always have our documents emailed. Are they still using the silly, faintly pink coloured, background? I always have to remove the background colour when printing so that the writing is legible.

The final document is also completely indistinguishable from the originals (as long that the person examing them has never seen the originals :D:D).

Also with Y and have asked them just to have white back ground in future as it will save the planet on ink! It really is not required to have it in Blue.

See new thread on latest on Greek tax -

macd

Visit site
The wording of that europa page is misleading. Any person within Schengen must, at all times, be prepared to prove their identity. Acceptable documents are passports (with valid visas or stamps if required), Schengen ID cards, or papers issued to refugees.

But the point, Jim, is that Greece is in Schengen and many visitors to Greece are also from Schengen and do have ID cards. Whether Brits do or don't have ID cards is irrelevant: a general requirement to produce passports is perverse and quite possibly illegal.

Tony Cross

Visit site
But the point, Jim, is that Greece is in Schengen and many visitors to Greece are also from Schengen and do have ID cards. Whether Brits do or don't have ID cards is irrelevant: a general requirement to produce passports is perverse and quite possibly illegal.

How so? I'm not intimately familiar with either EU law nor Greek law but it seems perfectly reasonable for any state to require that people prove their identity. Certainly in the case of the EU, all member states should be able to verify that you (or anyone else) is an EU citizen and thus entitled to be there. The passport is a universally accepted form of ID and that's why I suspect it's asked for.

jimbaerselman

www.jimbsail.info

As far as I am aware, the large majority (if not all) Schengen countries require anyone within their boundaries to be able to prove their identity. For their own citizens who don't travel, proof of residence or a tax number is often adequate. Otherwise, each country may (and most do) provide lists of documents which various nationalities must be able to provide on request.

In some cases, ID cards which are accepted as proof of ID in a home (Schengen) country, are not acceptable in another Schengen country.

SSee the "sample story" half way down this europa travel advice page

It's just not ID card free British, is it!

Last edited:

NornaBiron

www.flickr.com
UPDATE -

We went to the Port Police today on Leros as we needed a stamp in our old DEKPA. There was no mention of buying a new DEKPA, it was explained to us by a senior PP that we only need one stamp per year and that is us now done for this year.

It seems that the message has not yet reached all PP offices ☺

Tony Cross

Visit site
UPDATE -

We went to the Port Police today on Leros as we needed a stamp in our old DEKPA. There was no mention of buying a new DEKPA, it was explained to us by a senior PP that we only need one stamp per year and that is us now done for this year.

It seems that the message has not yet reached all PP offices ☺

Nothing new there then. :D