Greek boatyards-insurance policy

whitepearl

Visit site
Hello everybody
I will soon leave my boat on the hard and I m making research regarding Greek boatyards .
I used to sail with my grandfather but now I m alone.
My grandfather used to say that I need to check 3 thinks in boatyards.
1.trailer
2.frames
3.insurance+security
and 3 more?
I have check 4 boatyards and everybody except batsimamopolo avoid my questions regarding insurance .
Regardind security I m referring mostly to fire protections standards.
I would tell you the names of the boatyards but with the GDPR it is propably forbitten.
My last stop the next days will be Evia if they are like the others I will propably go to Batsimamopolo cause with what I have seen by now he will deserve to get my money.
Do you think I m absurd?
p.s
It is 3 hours that I have read all the threads about Greece.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
All yards in Greece have to have insurance, that doesn't mean you get any payout from then if your boat is damage ,
the marinas hard stand are probably your best bet but you pay more , the smaller yards don't expect to get any payout if your boat get broken into or damage ,
Quite a few small yards still use wooden prop , in the working yards where owner work on their own boats best to cover the boat up if it's a valuable boat , not unusual to see people using grinders and welding going on , most will leave stuff under their boats like anchors and dinghy as a rule they still be there when you return but that's a chance you take .
I think your better off asking your insurance what the situation is , my bet is you be claiming of your insurance should some thing happen .

After saying all that , in all the years I left my boat in Greece we not had any problem .

Last edited:

Tony Cross

Visit site
Sailaboutvic is quite correct, every boatyard and marina with a license to operate has to have insurance, so ask to see their license to operate. That said, all boatyards and marinas in Greece will require that your boat is insured by you and in the event of a problem it will be up to your insurance and the boatyard/marina's insurance to sort out which one of them pays. You will make a claim to your insurance company.

whitepearl

Visit site
Hello Guys
of course they need to have insurance but probably some yards don't want to spend a lot of money ,it is all about professionalism.
we need to ask -check and be very careful
Anyway thank you for helping out

AndrewB

Visit site
I've used one of the two yards at Halkoutsi opposite Evia and found it satisfactory, as did people in the other. Security is good, with owners living on site. I was happy with the trailer and the propping ashore, and never heard of any fires or accidents with boats. I suggest you visit and see for yourself, perhaps talk to boat owners there.

However, as others suggest, you really must rely on your own insurance. If the yard has a bad reputation then your insurers will advise against.

Of course the yard will have its own insurance, but you may be hard put to claim against them if anything goes wrong. For example, when a yacht fell over in Dover taking three others with it, the marina initially denied negligence and it took four years and a lot of money to settle the case. And that was England.

whitepearl

Visit site
Thank you Andrew.
There is also the factor of distance.
If you leave the yard with a small damage, for example in the propeller and you discaver it 1-2 days later ?
I will be in Evia the next days.
If I see a boat supported in a rusty barrel
I will keep you updated.

alexsailor

Visit site
If I would leave my boat on a hard in Greece (let's say Preveza) I would be interested in the insurance about earthquakes....

AndrewB

Visit site
Thank you Andrew.
There is also the factor of distance.
If you leave the yard with a small damage, for example in the propeller and you discaver it 1-2 days later ��
I will be in Evia the next days.
If I see a boat supported in a rusty barrel
I will keep you updated.

I think you are worrying a bit unnecessarily.

At almost all yards the owner (or his representative) must be present at relaunch. Naturally you will make a last-minute check of underwater fittings just before launch, including propeller and fittings, anodes secure, stop-cocks closing properly. When the yacht is launched but still held in the trailer or crane, you will be invited to check below that all is well and there are no leaks. Also that the engine will run up if needed immediately. Obviously they will pull you out again should anything go wrong.

Regarding the distance factor, the yards at Halkousi are no more than a short taxi-ride to the nearest station on the Athens Suburban Railway, giving easy access to both the city and the airport. The extremities of Evia through are really quite remote.

marycya.fr

Visit site
If you go to Evia step by from Evoiko sea center and ask for Dennis .
I m wintering there for the last 3 years and i am very satisfied.
As i have seen on the launching process they will keep you on the trailer to start the engine and check that everything works smoothly.
Boats are very well supported on steel frames and in the matter of security they are very well protected.
There is one more yard right next but there is no comparison, boat owners have a key of the yard in case they come late the night and while they invest in new lavatories , Dennis invested building a new hydraulic trailer and bought a new tractor

Tony Cross

Visit site
If I would leave my boat on a hard in Greece (let's say Preveza) I would be interested in the insurance about earthquakes....

All of Greece, but especially western and southern Greece, is prone to earthquakes. Here on Crete we get small ones quite regularly, you don't feel them unless you're on a boat on the hard, when it will rattle for no apparent reason.

Regardless of the yard's location I would check that the cradle arms extend a little way up the sides of your yacht so that it offers some lateral support and that the yacht's keel actually sits on the cradle base, thus adding the boat's weight to it. That's generally how they do things here in Agios Nikolaos and it means that even in a moderate earthquake the boat won't fall out of the cradle (because of the lateral support from the arms) and the cradle itself won't topple over (because the weight of the boat is on it).