Greece or Croatia?

richardknight

Visit site
What are people's experiences of chartering in Croatia v's Greece? You hear that Croatia is an up and ocming area, but does that mean it's rough around the edges? Which do you think is the better of the two for chartering in?

All views appreciated!

Thanks,

Richard

<hr width=100% size=1>

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
surely you should do both
do croatia first before it gets ruined was the advice i was given. could not make croatia last year so it is still on my wish list

<hr width=100% size=1>my wife wants to dance on my grave. I aim to be buried at sea

extravert

Not far from Uwchmynydd, near Bwlchtocyn, just up
Visit site
Croatia. It is the jewel in the Mediterranean. The island scenery in the Kornati is like nowhere else on earth. It is oozing history and archeaology (their Roman stuff makes ours look like piles of rubble). There are almost silent islands without vehicles. The tap water is drinkable. Winds were good when I was there. Eyeball navigation is easy, plenty of buoyage. Generally in the coastal areas it seems to be a clean, tidy, well run country with exceptionally good sailing.

On the down side, there are few sandy beaches, and food variety can be limited. It's fish or, erm, more fish.

<hr width=100% size=1>One day, I hope to own a real boat (and a reliable lifejacket).

zefender

Visit site
Although I liked some of Croatia (and I found myself influenced by the pilot to visit bland marina after bland marina), I think Greece is pretty hard to beat. Food in Croatia more limited and more expensive than Greece (though hardly extortionate).People more friendly in Greece though lack of wind there often a problem. Based on just one charter in Croatia (though in a group of three different boats), boat preparation was just as variable as Greece. Greece is far more laid back IMHO.

Why are you asking? I see from your bio, you sell charters in both locations. Which do you think is best?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Brian_B

Visit site
We were sailing in Croatia last summer and found it quiet, interesting and clean.
The food is Italian influenced, no bad thing, but we found it difficult to find good fresh fruit, except if you go scrumping!
Generally it's more expensive than Greece and beware marina charges of up to £20 a night for 36ft sloop.
I'd recommend Croatia especially for a sailing holiday as there are few sandy beaches and the boat gives you independence.

However, Greece I love and have been all over on land and sea. It can be an acquired taste, the food, the wine, the people and the generally laid back way of life.
Greece or Croatia? If you've not been to Croatia go now as it will change. Greece will never change!

<hr width=100% size=1>

richardknight

Visit site
Thanks for your reply - to clarify though, we I don't personally sell charters, but work with companies who choose to pay for advertising to promote their boats via our site. Really our focus is on working with RYA schools.
Thanks,

Richard

<hr width=100% size=1>

doris

Visit site
Wrong question

IMHO you are asking the wrong question. It should be Croatia or Turkey. Greece in my experience is now, post euro, an expesive rip off. It is hugely polluted, the people are money grabbing and grubby. The Turks are friendly, the coastline clean and the food is terrific and good value. An extra 2 hours on a plane and there is a huge step up in quality. Several friends went to Croatia last year and all found is marvellous but they spent more time at anchor than in marinas......maybe better for the more experienced charterer rather than the family with kids wanting mates, discos etc.
Look forward to hearing of your experience.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Turkey?

Have been to both and prefer Greece, but have never been to Turkey and would love to give it a try. Trouble is part of the justification to SWMBO for boat ownership was that we'd stop spending shedloads with Sunsail!

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.writeforweb.com/twister1>Let's Twist Again</A>

billmacfarlane

Visit site
I did a Sunsail charter in Croatia a couple of years ago and found it a magical place. V quiet but decentish enough grub, nice wine and fabulous cruising among the islands. Don't expect a wild time but if you want P and Q, great scenery and warm waters, it's worth looking at.

<hr width=100% size=1>

cpthook

Visit site
Greece or Croatia? - Greece any day

I've kept a boat in Croatia for the past two years and can't wait to get her out of
there. I was cheated on the initial survey by both the Croatian broker and
the "surveyor" who said the engine was serviceable when it was in fact seized. The
"surveyor" also failed to report a major structural problem on deck. Around the
same time the liferaft, diving tanks and autopilot went missing. The autopilot
mysteriously came back after a complaint to the broker. This was when the boat was being kept in the ACI Marina in Split.

I am currently in dispute with the ACI marina in Dubrovnik over berthing charges. Having verbally agreed to put her up on the hard last September they renaged on the deal saying it never took place and there were no further places on the hard.
I found out having returned to the UK. It is neither practical nor convenient to go
back and move the boat out of season to a remote island which they suggested.
They are unwilling or unable to give me a date when a place on the hard will be
available so I'm having to pay much more to keep her in the water unused. Recently having been quoted 242 Euros a month I sent 6 months payment (1452 Euros). When they received the money they wrote back to tell me it covered just five months. I asked them why and they now say the 2004 prices have gone up to 340 Euros/month, a hike of almost 50%! I am waiting for an explanation but I'd be
surprised if I receive anything meaningful.

The quality of the yard work is shoddy. For example having had the boat's hull sheathed they forgot to reattach the shrouds which were left dangling amidships.

Some positives though - the Diocletian Palace in Split and the old town in
Dubrovnik were breathtaking and magical. The food's not bad and in the South both the food and accomodation are excellent value (check out www.dubrovnik-area.com) I found the islands bare and bland (although I submit to not having explored the interiors) marinas expensive and the attitude of many in the service industry often indifferent and morose at best and profoundly rude at worst - eg "If you have a complaint tell it to yourself, don't tell it to me!"; and perhaps worst of all a sign saying "The bar is not open because it is closed. The Management" :)

/end rant/

<hr width=100% size=1>

Metabarca

Visit site
Have a search on the forum on Croatia; the subject has cropped up several times over the past few months. Have a peep at my site as i have some info about Croatia that might help. To recap: the food's not great and becoming more expensive, the people vary from ok to bolshie (but never 'charmants'), but the scenery is splendid. Keep away from marinas, especially in high season and head for quiet anchorages. They can be found even in August. Oh, and yes, it is changing - lots more charter, new marinas, more squeezing of money. Get there while you can!

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.comoy.com/saillinks.html>http://www.comoy.com/saillinks.html</A>

cpthook

Visit site
Get every agreement in writing. If it's not nailed down your bank account
will suffer. The costs of my berth in Dubrovnik have just increased by a
whopping 50% without warning and retrospectively.

I'm off back to Greece as soon as I possibly can.

<hr width=100% size=1>