Greece-Mourtos Sivota Warning

jonrarit

Visit site
Back in Mourtos Sivota for the first time in 3 years. We draw 2.2m and no problem in the past but the harbour has now installed lazy lines. These are onto submerged concrete blocks reducing the depth to about 1.8m.

Reversing in (slowly of course) we stopped abruptly as the keel (fortunately not the rudder) hit one of the blocks. No damage luckily but the harbour is now a no go for us as multiple lazy lines and associated blocks.

Am sure this will catch others out so please be cautious if visiting

jonathan

dslittle

Visit site
Back in Mourtos Sivota for the first time in 3 years. We draw 2.2m and no problem in the past but the harbour has now installed lazy lines. These are onto submerged concrete blocks reducing the depth to about 1.8m.

Reversing in (slowly of course) we stopped abruptly as the keel (fortunately not the rudder) hit one of the blocks. No damage luckily but the harbour is now a no go for us as multiple lazy lines and associated blocks.

Am sure this will catch others out so please be cautious if visiting

jonathan

I assume that’s going into the ‘new’ harbour?

Is the Town Quay OK?

dslittle

Visit site
Vic. Yes you’re right, they were definitely ‘on the ball’ and we normally tucked ourselves in the corner as far away from the Town Quay as possible but, if the blocks are a hazard, the Town Quay would be the only option in the future…

jonrarit

Visit site
I should add that these were just to the left of the ferry pier (looking at it as you come in)

don’t think there were any on the right hand side

Cariadco

Visit site
Jonathan, as you discovered, and looking at Mourtos from the sea, Left of the Mole has been silting and 'Rocking' up for years. To it's right is fairly deep, upto 2.5m but suffers from direct exposure to the swell coming in, overnight.
For years, we have been going into the so called new harbour, and picking up a slime line.
Don't go onto the western wall, as Vassilis will appear on his Monkey Bike, shouting, screaming and whistling at you, like a madman. He keeps these lines free for anything over 50 foot. I quite often pretend to be heading there, just to drive him mad......He still doesn't get the joke. Oh and the depth is 2 to 3m.

jonrarit

Visit site
Hi will….. yup so true. Back in today by dinghy and watched 3 boats attempt to dock…… they all hit the same block!!! Top marks to the danish boy who managed to round it in reverse and get stern too…… took him 3 attempts ?

Obi

Visit site
Don't go onto the western wall, as Vassilis will appear on his Monkey Bike, shouting, screaming and whistling at you, like a madman.
You made me chuckle. Life in the Ionian! Mostly completely charming, but occasionally yes, I too found the odd Greek shouting like a madman - that brings back memories.