Greece maybe some changes

Star-Lord

Visit site
Great news! Just been speaking to a Croatian sailor and he reckons Croatia joins Shengen this year! Apparently Germany are behind them and only Slovenia stands in the way but that could be solved with a nice grant.

Many apologies for straying off OP's thread ?

Tony Cross

Visit site
I think he on about not having to check in but some how I done think that will be the case .
No. I think he's talking about a 'yachting visa' avoiding you being automatically declared a tax resident after you've been in Greece for 183 days or more....

Remember, the rules for the boat and the rules for the people are different. In all EU countries (technically) if people stay there for more than 183 days they are automatically tax resident there. Chris is working his magic again to try to get cruising sailors in Greece exempt somehow and a 'yachting visa' is a good way to go I think.

nortada

Visit site
No. I think he's talking about a 'yachting visa' avoiding you being automatically declared a tax resident after you've been in Greece for 183 days or more....

Remember, the rules for the boat and the rules for the people are different. In all EU countries (technically) if people stay there for more than 183 days they are automatically tax resident there. Chris is working his magic again to try to get cruising sailors in Greece exempt somehow and a 'yachting visa' is a good way to go I think.
Many thanks for this clarification.

You are absolutely correct stating, " In all EU countries (technically) if people stay there for more than 183 days they are automatically tax resident there." But whether any action is taken against transgressors is another matter.

Nevertheless, mindful that the current relaxed attitude could change, we take care to ensure that we are not in any single EU country for more that 179 days per annum.

Star-Lord

Visit site
Just been speaking to a Croatian sailor and he reckons Croatia joins Shengen this year! Apparently Germany are behind them and only Slovenia stands in the way but that could be solved with a nice grant.
Yes this may be 'Great News' for Croatia but not great news for sailors escaping or resetting Shengen.

sailaboutvic

Visit site

now it's getting confusing, one talking about Greece the other Croatia

Tony Cross

Visit site
now it's getting confusing, one talking about Greece the other Croatia
Yes, but the 183 day rule for people and the 18 month temporary importation rule for boats are rules applied across the whole EU. Though, as mentioned by nortada above, some EU member states are more relaxed about policing them than others. In addition of course, we don't yet know for certain whether UK citizens and boats will have some sort of 'special' status in the EU after 31st December.

alexsailor

Visit site
I think we (Slovenia) will not approve CRO Schengen so quickly since we have an open issue with border... For sure it will stay like this for some time... It is hard to negotiate anything with Croatia.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
My Comment on the Scrapping of the DEKPA and that it might also include the scrapping of the Transit Log was premature. The law related ONLY to the repeal of the DEKPA Law.

This is work in progress with the Greeks but we have until next year until it affects us.

mbroom

Visit site
Great news! Just been speaking to a Croatian sailor and he reckons Croatia joins Shengen this year! Apparently Germany are behind them and only Slovenia stands in the way but that could be solved with a nice grant.

Many apologies for straying off OP's thread ?
This makes life more difficult for long
term cruisers post brexit.

Garold

Visit site
Any relaxation or easing of the paperwork in Greece is beneficial for everyone. We don’t enjoy dealing with the port police etc to sort out the DEKPA, and their portal for paying the cruising tax can still spoil your day with its clunky operation. However, unlike many (perhaps because we have a boat less than 12m) we don’t mind paying the cruising tax if it contributes to local services.

I’m not sure if the number of UK sailors who spend more than 90 days on board in the summer is significant, but Greece would seem to be in a unique position to attract a large proportion of them to its waters. With the temporary residency offer, and being next to Turkey so you can easily escape the EU for part of the summer, Greece is a cruising-ground solution to the 90 day rule for Brits.

I just hope that someone in govt decides that they want to keep us there and makes some further changes to keep us there.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I don't think the Greek care one way or another , they make these rules then Decide it don't befits them or it's too much work and change them , I lost track how many time the DEPKA been changed over the 30 plus years I sailed there , first it had to be stamped in every port , then if you had a marina contract once a month everyone else every port , then it was once a year ,that's before all the new DEPKA rule came out .
I like many others we know are pissed of that because of the extra cost of. Over 12 mts in the tax , it's taken the option of us sailing in Greece , that extra 1300€ PA we wouldn't have to pay covered nearly our winter marina bill .
Lucky for us we just as happy to sail else we're at no extra cost ageist popular believe them who think Greece is the only place to sail with little cost and free anchorages .
I do hope at some point the tax is reduced which give us the opportunity to sail there again but till then it look for us any way the rest of the med will have to do .

Garold

Visit site
The huge increase in Greek cruising tax at 12m is ridiculous. We can agree on that, Vic.

I only hope that the Greeks decide that the cruising yachtsperson is welcome and that largely we bring an infusion of money from another country. And if they decide to take up the economic opportunity, they are uniquely placed to capture a larger chunk of this market just now.

You are more familiar with the Greek way of doing things than me and so your view that they will ignore this opportunity may play out.

However the cruising community is mobile as you’ve demonstrated. If the flotillas also return to Turkey, perhaps the Greeks will start to notice the loss of business in marine services, and make some further changes.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I don't think that the charter Market that bothered , they just add the cost on their charters ,
If you paying £1200 or what ever for a week charter another few pounds .
And if there six people charting it , it's nothing .
What's needed is a large part of the Private owner to leave then the pinch would be felt out side the charter season.
I not sure that will happen although people are leaving Greece or at the very less only staying for sort periods rather then for the whole season and over wintering,
There are a very popular cruisers marinas like Crete and lefkes but that's about it.
It's the yards that have most of the boats .

Turkey is again becoming popular, there was a time went boats pour our becomes of the troubles and some marinas started introducing a stupid rule like you can't work on boats plus the blue card but many marinas now are offering good deals as not only good discount but as one group allowed contract holders to have a free berth in all the group there also more welcoming then the Greeks plus now the visa on the way out too.b