Greece have things changed or is this the future

mocruising

Visit site
Four seasons in Greece and ten stamps in my permit, up until this year. We have been onboard four weeks and have ten more stamps for this season. The Coastguard seem far more active/interested is this the face of the future. (Area Southern Ionian and Pelloponese)

Oliveoyl

www.yotblog.com
Just stamps, or more €? Recent experience in GR seems to indicate much legwork to convert stamps into .......................
€,85 of revenue!

CharlesSwallow

Visit site
Just stamps, or more €? Recent experience in GR seems to indicate much legwork to convert stamps into .......................
€,85 of revenue!

How dare you adopt such a cynical attitude to our brothers in the "great european adventure"?

and it's €0.88 a stamp anyway. Gouvia's PP office was again closed today. What is it with these people?
Chas

charles_reed

Visit site
Four seasons in Greece and ten stamps in my permit, up until this year. We have been onboard four weeks and have ten more stamps for this season. The Coastguard seem far more active/interested is this the face of the future. (Area Southern Ionian and Pelloponese)
The change in Port Police vigilance first struck me last April. They all became keener on collecting Port Dues and demanding one reported before leaving.
Not having a DEKPA the stamping was irrelevant for me but, I suspect, one has led to the other.
Even more interesting is the, now inevitable, restructure of Greek Government debt and the likely outcomes from that.

maxi77

Visit site
How dare you adopt such a cynical attitude to our brothers in the "great european adventure"?

and it's €0.88 a stamp anyway. Gouvia's PP office was again closed today. What is it with these people?
Chas

Interesting that despite the problems of various Euro nations the Euro seems to be the strongest currency at present, with the pound particualrly heading rapidly for parity. It would appear to be the terrorists prefered currency too with OBL reportedly having Euros stitched into his close in case he had to adjust his address in a hurry.

Here in Portugal it is noticable that the GNR are looking to increase their income from fines substantially, but vehicles seem to be the main target, several parts of town including the marina area have been heavily hit with parking fines and towaways, and there are many roadside stop and check patrols out too.

daveyw

Visit site

I think we only ever got a stamp about twice a season and the main ports for issuing stamps were Zante town, occasionally Fiskardo and Lefkas.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
The change in Port Police vigilance first struck me last April. They all became keener on collecting Port Dues and demanding one reported before leaving.
Not having a DEKPA the stamping was irrelevant for me but, I suspect, one has led to the other.
Even more interesting is the, now inevitable, restructure of Greek Government debt and the likely outcomes from that.

Charles, we have spent the last few weeks in the Saronic and Western Cyclades. The port police have been spectacular in their absence.

Only on Poros did they materialise. The last few years the waterman has collected the modest €7 euro per boat 12 Mtr. This year they have a new port police chief. He has insisted his police collect all the monies AND fill in the forms. The port police were complaining to me how stupid the whole arrangement was - 30 minutes of form filling for €7! Anyway, they used to collect hundreds of fees per day. The waterman told them that no-one would go to the port police, as they took too long. The Greek registered boats which paid €2 were enraged by the change - 30 mins work for €2 what a joke. The port police would also not get off their bums to go down and chase people up. So no money coming in this year to Poros. Very Sad

I had to go to hospital in Paros to ave a GRP splinter cut out. I wanted to pay - or use my EHIC card - they had no facilities to pay at all. I then offered some money to the hospital charity - no they could nit do that - only government money is allowed - there can be no charitable foundations set up to help. Its actually a very sad joke on the state of the Greek bureaucracy.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I had to go to hospital in Paros to ave a GRP splinter cut out. I wanted to pay - or use my EHIC card - they had no facilities to pay at all. I then offered some money to the hospital charity - no they could nit do that - only government money is allowed - there can be no charitable foundations set up to help. Its actually a very sad joke on the state of the Greek bureaucracy.

Chris,
That isn't true everywhere. I had an operation in Leros last year which was totally covered by my EHIC card. Everything arranged very correctly by the hospital finance office. Post-op clinics cost me €3 each, paid at the clinic office and receipts given.
Vyv

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Chris,
That isn't true everywhere. I had an operation in Leros last year which was totally covered by my EHIC card. Everything arranged very correctly by the hospital finance office. Post-op clinics cost me €3 each, paid at the clinic office and receipts given.
Vyv

Vyv, yes I know the EHIC covers hospital costs in Greece, and indeed I had the misfortune to use it for a 4 day stay in Prevesa. I was very surprised that Paros then had absolutely no facilities for taking money.

When are you coming out to Greece?

charles_reed

Visit site
Charles, we have spent the last few weeks in the Saronic and Western Cyclades. The port police have been spectacular in their absence.

Only on Poros did they materialise. The last few years the waterman has collected the modest €7 euro per boat 12 Mtr. This year they have a new port police chief. He has insisted his police collect all the monies AND fill in the forms. The port police were complaining to me how stupid the whole arrangement was - 30 minutes of form filling for €7! Anyway, they used to collect hundreds of fees per day. The waterman told them that no-one would go to the port police, as they took too long. The Greek registered boats which paid €2 were enraged by the change - 30 mins work for €2 what a joke. The port police would also not get off their bums to go down and chase people up. So no money coming in this year to Poros. Very Sad

I suspect the islands are trailing somewhat compared to the mainland, but the Port Police are certainly being pressurised to collect every €0.001 in dues.

Whilst I agree with the state of Greek bureaucracy (too many people justifying their place on the payroll, shuffling paper in geometric progression), I cannot agree about the efficacy of their medical care - I landed in Levkas hospital with double pneumonia, treated with considerable care (the head honcho had done a postgrad @ Hammersmith), had an ultrasound and partial CT and was asked for €0.0.
Similarly in Argostoli, they even fixed an appointment with the visiting orthopod, after a scooter accident - I did have to pay €3.80 for the X-ray.

Beside who WANTS to pay for their medical attention - I've never had to do it in France, Spain or Italy.
It's this obsession with travel insurance, peddled by all the airlines, that Brits appear to have.

bryantee

lefkas Greece (Summer)Cochin india(Winter)
Visit site
greek medical care

twice i,ve been to lefkas hospital, once with a drill through my hand and next time with a palm frond needle through my palm( its painful). one time to prevezza following a car accident( it had been raining). I have worked in greece for some years and cannot fault the treatment, or speed in getting treatment. however when we can get the blood takers ( to don gloves)and x ray techs to put their coffee down and stop smoking ,then things will have improved.
I have ,unfortunately experience of greek and indian medical care.12,000,000against 29,000,000 in kerala. india has more hospitals.
but there is little to choose. we are happy to be covered by insurance in both countries.

Eurydice

Visit site

Mo,

Unless the law has changed since we were there which is just over a year now, you can actually refuse the stamp. It is (or was) the law that you had to have a stamp once a month, if you have a stamp already you can refuse the stamp on the log but you still have to pay up your euros for your harbour fees. I've done it and they don't mind, I was getting close to the end of my log and was refusing to pay another 75 euros for a new log so I started to refuse the stamp. No way out of paying but then we always figured you should pay for what you get.

Happy sailing this summer.