Great value 44ft bluewater cruising ketch

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Unfortunately No, I have given the Surveys to the new owners so i am unable to look it up. Is your ferrocement boat factory or home built?

Mine was "home" built as far as I know in the mid 1970 in Johannesburg area South Africa.

When I purchased the boat it hod no rust bleed and none for the time I was using it. I lifted it out to strip all the paint and found several repairs and chipping them away found the steel had corroded away where the repairs were.

You can see some of the places where I have replaced the corroded steel ready to replaster.

http://s1335.photobucket.com/user/Distantshaws/library/African Shaws?sort=3&page=1

Just finished the most of the plastering to day and will be moving to Richards Bay later this month as my friend on whose plot I have the boat has sole his plot so I must move it anyway.

ferroboat

Visit site
Mine was "home" built as far as I know in the mid 1970 in Johannesburg area South Africa.

When I purchased the boat it hod no rust bleed and none for the time I was using it. I lifted it out to strip all the paint and found several repairs and chipping them away found the steel had corroded away where the repairs were.

You can see some of the places where I have replaced the corroded steel ready to replaster.

http://s1335.photobucket.com/user/Distantshaws/library/African Shaws?sort=3&page=1

Just finished the most of the plastering to day and will be moving to Richards Bay later this month as my friend on whose plot I have the boat has sole his plot so I must move it anyway.

Don't really know what to say about those photos, but i wish you luck.

Sybarite

Visit site
Many years ago a colleague of mine was investigating the long-term reliability of offshore concrete platforms. The oldest examples he could find were the WWII defences in the Thames estuary. He went out to one and took core samples from below the water line. The concrete was in superb condition, as good as new, with negligible water content. It was at least 50 years old.

I read an article many years ago which indictaed that ferro hulls got better with age.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I read an article many years ago which indicated that ferro hulls got better with age.

Certainly the cement/concreate get stronger with age but its the steel armature that can deteriorate as shown in my pics above.

This started to become a problem in my old home town of Birmingham when pieces of concrete would split of the bridges due to the expansion of the rusting steel reinforcing.
This is why migrating corrosion inhibitor was developer to slow down the process.