Grand Banks 42?

Colvic Watson

Visit site
Hi, we’ve narrowed our boat search down to the Grand Banks 42 or perhaps a 36 aft cabin but they are very rare.

Are there known issues? Is it really a hull for going above hull speed because it looks like it would burn a ton of fuel to go at semi displacement speed!

Thanks for any advice.

Flynnbarr

Visit site
Best advice I’ve ever seen about the Grand Banks range is that they are a wooden boat in a fibreglass shell…..lovely boats but lots of maintenance!

Your best bet is a read of the Trawler forum….happy hunting (y)

RD60

Visit site
Best advice I’ve ever seen about the Grand Banks range is that they are a wooden boat in a fibreglass shell…..lovely boats but lots of maintenance!
Not sure what “shell” means….as a proud GB42 owner I can assure you that since 1973 Grand Banks only produced GRP hulls requiring no more maintenance than any other GRP construction.

Motor_Sailor

Visit site
They are very happy at displacement speeds. I've had extensive use of a couple of GB42s including the last wooden one built. It was possible to just get double digit speeds (10.1 kts) with the original spec twin Lemans, but the fuel cost and wear and tear went through the roof.

If coming from a Colvic Watson type boat hull, you will find the motion in big cross seas to be a little different. The GB sits more on the water and her hard chine deadrise tends to follow the angle of the water surface. Helming from the flybridge in big Pacific cross swells took some mental processing when first encountered.

superheat6k

Visit site
There are several Classics for sale presently - I suggest Colin Watts at Boat Showrooms of Hamble - 07831 301815 - is the best authority on Grand Banks in the UK as he imported them all. If there is one for sale he will know of it.

My 36' Sedan cruises well at ~ 10 knots, and is I believe quite frugal on the fuel, but with 2 x 225 HP diesels (Ford Sabres) she will top out ~ 16 - 18 knots with a clean bottom, but yes they do like the fuel at such speeds.

Maintenance wise no more than any other boat of this size. I do spend more time than anything else on the teak, and one task now behind me was scraping off the failing varnish on the gunwale cap rail and hand rails right around the boat. I now only use Semco because that is easily removed when it fades every couple of years with Wessex two pack teak cleaner, followed by yet more Semco (clear tone).

Servicing the Stbd engine is a bit of challenge as the access to the filler side of the engine is not so easy. But they have been reliable since I have owned her.

Greg2

Visit site
Lovely boats and were on our list of possibilities when looking for a trawler style boat.

In the end our Hardy 36 was more suited to us due to lower air draft (we like to go inland as well as coastal and in theory the 36 should make it to the Med via the French waterways) and less woodwork albeit we have all teak decks, which I would prefer not to have but all boats are a compromise.

We see one of two GB’s on the east coast and every time I look wistfully and think should we have gone for one but SWMBO quickly puts me straight, reminding me why the Hardy was more suited to us! 😁

Last edited:

Forty_Two

Visit site
Hi, we’ve narrowed our boat search down to the Grand Banks 42 or perhaps a 36 aft cabin but they are very rare.

Are there known issues? Is it really a hull for going above hull speed because it looks like it would burn a ton of fuel to go at semi displacement speed!

Thanks for any advice.
Mine is a 1969 woodie 42CL, owned since 1987.

If you can, try for a later model with bonded rather then screwed decks

Window leaks are a thing. I fixed by replacing with custom made Houdini units, worth every penny

Fuel tanks, check the tops for rust from leaking deck fill failed sealant. Took mine (original) out in 2000, blasted clean, epoxy painted & pressure tested. It's engine's out for the aft tanks, just possible to get the side ones out by moving them fwd first. I cut a hole in the flybridge to lift engines out

You need to enjoy varnishing

I re-engined with Perkin Sabre M135's from the original Lehmans in 2000. Can make 10kn after launch but normally cruise at 8kn & often 7kn cause it's nice.

Yes they do roll a bit😁, i have Wesmar stabs which are fantastic, probably bit tight to fit to a 36

The 42 does offer a very uncrowded feel, lots of space & a very safe walk around at sea. Easy to live on for extended cruising & a great engine room. We had a 32 from 1980 to 1986 & i made the mistake of lookin at a 42 visiting Bucklers Hard where we moored & that was that 🤣

Other threads that may be of interest