GPS

BrendanS

Visit site
Re: GPS 176c

Def don't want to swap. It's one of the best buys I've made so far. Bluechart is superb, can set different levels to show more or less detail, and though the chip itself seems quite expensive, when you compare the cost to the number of paper charts you'd have to buy to cover the same area they are excellent value (it has planning, mid and port charts all pretty seamlessly combined). As to the 176c itself, this is what I posted earlier in year:

>>I bought a 176c earlier this year. I too have limited helm space, which is why I opted for it (21' sports boat). Despite the smallish screen, the chart is very clear in most conditions, even at high speed in rough conditions. Does need backlight on in some light conditions, so I'd recommend wiring it in, as the battery drain is high with backlight permanently on.

Also discovered that the supplied mounting bracket will fit perfectly into the cup holder at the helm - good tight fit, perfectly secure, no need to permanently mount, and yet can pick it up instantly if I need a closer look.

Very tough bit of kit, has already survived a 20' drop and several good drenchings when I took green water over the screen. Only drawback is the battery compartment which is a bit fiddly (getting cover off, and old batteries out) with cold wet fingers - so another reason to wire it in.<<

I took it along on the Wareham trip for Jon B to take a look at, and as we went into Poole he questioned whether it was worth it. I'd preprogrammed it in the car (5 minutes, while I was waiting for him to turn up with his boat) with major waypoints to Wareham. As we went up Poole, he reached a point where he'd never been before, and asked where he was supposed to be going. Handed him the 176, and 5 minutes on the plane later he declared he was going to buy one, as previously it would have been full halt and charts out. Could see every major buoy and channel marker on the fly, and navigated by comparing screen, direction arrow, and matching to eyeball. Can't say much better than that.

Any questions, let me know

G

Re: or looking at it another way...

Get a new thinkpad and put Transas Navigator on it hours of fun

"The Med has got me" (no not the Medway the other Med)

G

Get a nice little Garmin 12XL handheld link it up to a good laptop with Transas Navigator on it and you will never need the expense of a fixed chart plotter,
you can take it from boat to boat, and do all your plotting at home

"The Med has got me" (no not the Medway the other Med)