GPS

EME

www.lumishore.com
Chrissie Pressy...

'got a "simulate" function for sad gits to pretend that they are zooming around at 100knots?'

Yuu shouldn't have......are you that convinced I won'tget a boat !! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

<font color=black>I am WHAT I say I am

duncan

Visit site
Re: Got a new toy

can't agree that they )the chips - gCharts - are rubbish. My 215 uses the same and gives me accurate info on the fixed elements of our coastline. On a 225 (colour) they even make sense at speed - the main flaw in all b/w chartplotters.

EME

www.lumishore.com
If the cap fits !!

The trouble is that every time some self-effacing, self-deprecating Gentleman such as your goodself takes a cheap shot at himself- in the interest of humility of course; the whole thingseems to be Made to Measure for me......and in this case it would appear to have been my hat size exactly !!!!

I just see myself in so many of those situations...my first reaction was to ask JFM to copy the software and send to me....much more fun on a Thursday night than doing tide diamonds and so on..

<font color=black>I am WHAT I say I am

jfm

Visit site
Re: Got a new toy

Yes full colour. Yes, it has every seachart on the whole planet, so all coastlines, all marinas, all passage charts, every effing thing. This is total. You can zoom in on every marina pontoon, or all the squillions of islands off Norway, Stockholm harbour, Ascension Island, Suez Canal, or passage charts of any sea/ocean. It is basically every CMap chartchip ever, on a hard drive. And there's a nav program, so you can do passage plans, simulations etc. If I weren't so particularly scrupulous about copyright I'd burn it to a CD and send you a copy, ahem.

tcm

Visit site
Re: Git!

If I wasn't so scrupulous about being stingy I'd have my own! Anyway, there's no radar overlay so it's rubbish and almost useless, and you may as well give it to me. OR maybe i am allowed to evaluate it for you.

duncan

Visit site
Re: or looking at it another way...

valueing your opinions as I do ........an evaluation copy would bring back to life an old Thinkpad I have lying around somewhere as well as providing hours of fun over the winter looking at possible trips. As an example I am currently interested in S Brittany and buying an electronic chart just to play on a 5inch screen on the boat just doesn't bring it alive!

ArthurWood

Visit site
Have used Garmin 126 for few years and very pleased w/it. Display beginning to fade a bit after long exposure to Florida sun. Presumably you have an open cockpit, otherwise you'll prob need 128. Would suggest you seriously consider 175, based on others' opinions and the price.

MedDreamer

Visit site
My concern for the 175 is based on the obselecence factor.

If I am unable to get updated charts because Garmin are not supporting the software, which is the case I believe from the other threads, I will be left with just a GPS

How serious should I take this potential problem. Please bear in mind that it will probably be 2 years before I need a plotter, would I be better buying the handheld MLR now (I agree with TCM about the advantages of the hand held unit) and buying a plotter in two years time which would be a current model and I could use the MLR as a back up?

MedDreamer

Visit site
My concern for the 175 is based on the obselecence factor.

If I am unable to get updated charts because Garmin are not supporting the software, which is the case I believe from the other threads, I will be left with just a GPS

How serious should I take this potential problem. Please bear in mind that it will probably be 2 years before I need a plotter, would I be better buying the handheld MLR now (I agree with TCM about the advantages of the hand held unit) and buying a plotter in two years time which would be a current model and I could use the MLR as a back up?

jfm

Visit site
Quite agree

MedDreamer you are quite correct and very astute imho. The 175 is priced incredibly cheaply - it used to be £600 - and I suspect that is to dupe people into buying an obsolete bit of kit. The Navionics chips used by Garmin + software were always pretty clunky imho (compared with CMap) and Garmin are now switching to BlueCharts, which are fundamentally different from Navionics charts and fundamentally similar to CMaps. So, either buy a CMap based system or a BlueChart system. But I would still buy a plotter rather than a GPS, loads more fun imho.

All said without any axe to grind....though I can sell you a secondhand mint Nav6000 ahem

ArthurWood

Visit site
I agree with your fear of the obsolescence factor. If you just want to get used to using GPS and having a backup later when you go to something more sophisticated, I would recommend the Garmin12.

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
`I can lightheartedly but dead seriously reccomend the Garmin GPS 12 and for fun and ganes on Windermere coinnect uit up to a laptop running autoroute 2002. LAter when you get serious either get a plotter or get Tsunamis Navigator which is a full world wide chart system for the PC. Clive Neighbour will also tell you more about this. Heres a pic of my GPS12/PC setup with the autoroute showing the Thames at Hampton Court. You can also use it as a road route finding system!
gpshc.sized.jpg

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.boatsontheweb.com/galleryframes.html> BoatsOnTheWeb Photo Gallery</A>

MedDreamer

Visit site
Thanks to everyone for their advice. This forum may have its knockers but I have been amazed by the genuine efforts made by everyone offering their opinions. Thank You. Special thanks to jfm - wish I could afford your Magellan plotter but SWMBO wants jewellery ("after all you,ve got a boat"!)

Based on all your advice and comparing specs I have decided the following:

1) Go with Garmin.
2) Choose Handheld.
3) Buy GPS now but be really good in future so that Santa will bring me a Plotter when I need one

I have chosen the new Garmin 72 which I believe is the replacement for the GPS12. I already have the laptop and autoroute 2002 so I am looking forward to having a playon the lake

The best price I have seen is £149.99 at GPSW.COM.

Any comments on my choice or cheaper prices would be much appreciated.

BrendanS

Visit site
It's new, so not a lot of difference on most sites, but gps4less.co.uk have it for 145 including p&p

Having said that, I ordered my 176c and bluechart chips from gpsw.com and the service was exemplary which would induce me to go back there.

One note, several sites are showing that it's not in stock, so check before you order.

jfm

Visit site
Re: GPS 176c

Brendan, how do you find the 176c? I need to get one, just to play with. To replace my Nav6000, which is fantastic but it's b/w and I'd like a colour one. You dont want to swap do you?