GPS for DSC

rbarton22

Visit site
I hava recently bought a DSC radio. Being a believer of 'Minimum Boating' (and a bit of a miser) is there any way of getting its GPS functioning without buying an expensive and otherwise unnecessary chartplotter?

shmoo

Visit site
You can get a "headless" GPS, something like Garmin GPS 16 LVS for about 120 GBP. It has antenna and all the smarts in the one mushroom shaped container. You push 12v in and get NMEA out. No display.

I am going to get one when I get round to it becuase my elderly but nice GPS doesn't push out modern sentences for DSC or full laptop faclilities.

Burnham_Bob

Visit site
i am also a minimalist, but a hand held gps is useful. Why not buy a Garmin 12 or such and use that? Mine interfaces with my dsc radio and you can probably pick one up quite reasonably. Yes there are headless gps units, but why not get a fully functional cheapie gps that does more than just drive the dsc?

CPD

Visit site
Garmin etrex for £90 ish. Plugs into a DSC radio and gives very useful additional info. You just have to !

Birdseye

Visit site
try http://www.gpsw.co.uk/cats/cl3_41.html to see what is available. be aware that some of the protable gps made for hiking will not output the NMEA that you want, just Garmins proprietory system.

I can vouch for the garmin 76. Would always recommend a more modern set because the battery life is so much better. Yes the old Garmin 12 will work, but you will need new batteries with an irritating regularity.

singsail

Visit site
Garmin eTrex (about £85) sends NMEA output - wiring is easy. I have wiring diag if it helps, also details of a supplier who can provide the dual power and data lead with bare ends that you need to run into the radio and provide 12v supply for the eTrex