GPS ariel

pete

Visit site
Hi
This weekend i am going to fit my new lowrance 5150c plotter in place of the old Icom plotter.
When I fitted the Icom plotter I used the old Garmin ariel that was already fitted to the boat and just connected to the existing wiring which has two conductors but the Lowrance plotter ariel has a moulded on plug with four pins/sockets .
Are they all being used ? if not I can probably connect to the existing cable again.
as it will save a lot of messing about running wires.
If they are all being used I will cut the wire in the middle, feed it in from both ends and use a connector inside the boat
WHY do manufacturers put such BIG plugs on the end of there wires
Pete

FWB

N/A
Visit site
Re: GPS aerial

It will have to be connected with the supplied cables. It uses NMEA2000 and also needs a separate power supply,read the installation instructions. I have a 3500C, I cant imagine that the set up is different from your model.

pete

Visit site
Thanks for the quick replies looks like I will have to rip the boat apart to replace the ariel wires after all .
Pete

alan

Visit site
I have GPS aerials working satisfactorily inside the boat, just plonked on top of a locker with only GRP above them.
It's worth a try to see if it workd inside then you won't need to run the cable all the way through the boat to the stern (or wherever) nor have to cut the end off the cable.

Alan.

pappaecho

Visit site
Echo that. My latest car sat nav works fine in the office even though there is a tiled roof overhead - well worth a try as it will save lot of grief and holes in bulkheads

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
Yes...

Mine works, but can be a bit hit or miss, tends to be OK in a marina when everything is stable and calm, but less reliable at sea...... however, a short USB extension cable, and its out of the companionway...... very cheap from any PC retailer

spiller

Visit site
....while on the subject, I have a Raymarine RN300.
I also use Garmin GPS in my work, organising desert rallies (similar to the Dakar, namely the UAE Desert Challenge)
I have Mapsourse software and I am very familiar with it and the Garmin software.
The RN300 is relatively new to me, but I notice that the connecting multiplug to it is the same as the Garmin multiplug.
I haven't actually tried it yet, but what chance is there that they are compatible.....inlaymans terms...please.
Can I upload/download data to/fromthe Rayamarine to Mapsource?????

Boatman

Visit site
I used to train people for the like (off roading extreme) had loads of fun. Location verses situation was nearly never a question first lets get ourselfs out of this [--word removed--] uation etc.

But fun for everyone

A good antenna installation will be worth every effort

G

[ QUOTE ]
Hi
This weekend i am going to fit my new lowrance 5150c plotter in place of the old Icom plotter.
When I fitted the Icom plotter I used the old Garmin ariel that was already fitted to the boat and just connected to the existing wiring which has two conductors but the Lowrance plotter ariel has a moulded on plug with four pins/sockets .
Are they all being used ? if not I can probably connect to the existing cable again.
as it will save a lot of messing about running wires.
If they are all being used I will cut the wire in the middle, feed it in from both ends and use a connector inside the boat
WHY do manufacturers put such BIG plugs on the end of there wires
Pete

[/ QUOTE ]

IF the existing antena outputs NMEA - then you can patch it into the NMEA in connections of the Lowrance. I read quite often about NMEA 2000 and Lowrance only antena etc. I have proven many times that you CAN connect a non-lowrance data input as long as it is NMEA 0183 ... of course it uses the other connections - NOT the 2000 ones.

BUT if the existing antena is only antena and not recv'r ... then afraid its run Lowrance cables ... and Lowrance antena.
As others say - it does work inside cabin though if GRP boat ... my 3500C external antena is normally wedged in the window ...

Oldhand

Visit site
RN 300 "multiplug" carries DC power and NMEA "in" & "out". It is very unlikely to be wired the same as a Garmin, the RN300 manual shows the pin connections.

The RN300 is not the most reliable of instruments in terms of software bugs and if you use the Seatalk connection it emits EMI at or near to the 490kHz Navtex frequency. Raymarine chose to ditch it rather than fix it and the RC320 has the same problems.

pete

Visit site
Hi sorry for the confusion
I will not be using the NMEA but it has a separate lead,
The power lead is also separate, it is only the ariel lead that I am interested in.
Pete

pete

Visit site
Hi MagnaCarter
Well I have been trying to get my head around it at home and am getting there, The screen is very impressive and the included chart is more than I will need for a while. The instruction book is quite large and there are a couple of things I have to find out yet one being that I thought it would come with a lead to connect it to the computer but is hasn`t so can I upload my waypoints on to the sd card or will I have to insert them all manually.
I got mine from Redcar ordered on Sat PM delivered Tuesday AM £389.00 + £7.00 delivery
and it has a two year warranty.
Pete

G

[ QUOTE ]
Hi sorry for the confusion
I will not be using the NMEA but it has a separate lead,
The power lead is also separate, it is only the ariel lead that I am interested in.
Pete

[/ QUOTE ]

The NMEA will give you the computer connection you mention later ..............

pete

Visit site
Hi All
Thanks for the input .
I tried the aerial in various positions inside and outside the cabin and with only a very small loss of signal inside. I finally fitted it behind the heads headlining as it is the shape of a household ceiling rose.
I haven`t cut any wires so can easily alter things if this does not work out.
Thanks again
Pete

pete

Visit site
Hi sbc
So I can connect to the computer through the NMEA cable ? would I have to buy a special lead as the one I was sent has the Lowrance plug on one end and three wires red black and yellow at the other or can I fit a serial or USB plug to this.
Pete