Gosport to Gibraltar

Secret Smile

Visit site
Hi
We are planning to start a new life style as live aboard cruisers on our Dufour 38 Classic this summer. I am currently preparing by upgrading my charging and battery capacity. Improving the chart table (to include a backboard for new plotter, tridata, battery monitor and additional switch panel.) New suite of sails, new canvas inc bimini and stack away, new standing rigging inc additional stay for storm gib and heavy weather gib, extra anode and folding prop and anti foul. Any other suggestions incase I have forgotten something vital.

We intend to cross to France and coastline hop until we cross the bay of biscay (in a good weather window) and then down the coast again and in to Gibraltar. I have not been on this route before, is there anything I should consider. I should explain I am not a complete novice (actually a qualified Ocean Yachtmaster and my partner is a Day Skipper) but a wise old man once said "you should listen to any advice - we can all learn from the experience of others"

I am aware that the planning of route has been on a back burner compared with getting the boat ready and of course the house ready for letting!!! I am allowing 35 days to get to Gibraltar - although if it takes longer there is no stress. Without stops it would take just under 12 days, but that is not realistic if we want to stay together and live aboard for longer than a season.

Interested in any advice and previous experience. We are hoping for some friends to join us on this leg (vital if we are to keep valid insurance across biscay).

Yours

Secret Smile