Gori Folding Prop - usage advice?

MattS

Visit site
I am buying a shaft drive boat that has a Gori 2-blade folding prop installed.

Does anyone have any experience with these, and if so is there any practical advice you can give?

Thinking both usage (how to get best performance, quirks to be aware of) and also maintenance.

Thanks!

Tranona

Visit site
Nothing to do except perhaps paint it with an antifoul of some sort - various different products on the market. Check for wear on the pins and the teeth on the gear. smear of grese on the gears is sometimes recommended, but in my experience it gets washed off so does not do much.

B27

Visit site
Folding props sometimes need a few revs before anything happens in astern, then it's a bit sudden.
Maintenance is mostly a matter of looking after the anode on the shaft.
When sailing, engage astern for a moment to fold the prop.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
I've got one - basically it just works! Occasionally it doesn't open when going astern - a quick blast of forward opens it but it needs nerves of steel when entering a pontoon berth!

I have occasionally dismantled it for cleaning when out of the water - you can get a build up of fouling in the teeth of the gears at the base of the blades.

Concerto

Visit site
Gori 2 blade floding propellors are virtually fit and forget. I have had them on boats from the early 1970's and never had any problems. My current Gori on my Fulmar works well in forward and reverse. Personally I do not antifoul the propellor and get a few barnacles on the blades which reduces performance slightly. Gori do not have an anode fitted so I fit two shaft anodes, along with a teardrop main anode, and get no signs of electrolysis after 10 years.

MattS you should be pleased that your boat is fitted with a Gori, I certainly would be. I replaced a fixed 2 blade with the Gori to increase sailing performance.

Aja

Visit site
Gori 2 blade floding propellors are virtually fit and forget. I have had them on boats from the early 1970's and never had any problems. My current Gori on my Fulmar works well in forward and reverse. Personally I do not antifoul the propellor and get a few barnacles on the blades which reduces performance slightly. Gori do not have an anode fitted so I fit two shaft anodes, along with a teardrop main anode, and get no signs of electrolysis after 10 years.

MattS you should be pleased that your boat is fitted with a Gori, I certainly would be. I replaced a fixed 2 blade with the Gori to increase sailing performance.
+1 to all Concerto has said, except I use Trilux on mine. No fouling. Boat is in the water 6 months and I've never had an issue with the blades not opening. They just work, mine will be 17 years old this coming season. Never had to remove it from the boat.

doris

Visit site
I've got one - basically it just works! Occasionally it doesn't open when going astern - a quick blast of forward opens it but it needs nerves of steel when entering a pontoon berth!

I have occasionally dismantled it for cleaning when out of the water - you can get a build up of fouling in the teeth of the gears at the base of the blades.
I’m just pondering whether to go up from a stsndard Volvo 2 bladed folder to a Gori 3 bladder. Having two rudders will make speed of the essence when landing which will mean even stronger nerves!
I can almost hear the crunch already. Best remember a stem fender.

Tranona

Visit site
I’m just pondering whether to go up from a stsndard Volvo 2 bladed folder to a Gori 3 bladder. Having two rudders will make speed of the essence when landing which will mean even stronger nerves!
Answer is neither but fit a Featherstream - although if insistent on a folder then FlexoFold which generally is better in reverse than others

Neeves

Visit site
I have not used a Gori prop for well over 25 years. But back then the prop was secured with a nut and split pin (I think it was a tessellated nut with a hole in the shaft). The easiest way to clean the prop was take it off. If you do take the prop off use a new pin each time The pins are prone to failure and the pin remnants can fall out.

Guess how I know :(

Jonathan

doris

Visit site
Answer is neither but fit a Featherstream - although if insistent on a folder then FlexoFold which generally is better in reverse than others
I quite agree. I went from a Flexofold to Featherstream on my current boat. The Feather is absolutely brilliant in reverse and instant brakes, but over £2k. And no point in going for a Flexo, its as expensive as a Feather.

MattS

Visit site
I have not used a Gori prop for well over 25 years. But back then the prop was secured with a nut and split pin (I think it was a tessellated nut with a hole in the shaft). The easiest way to clean the prop was take it off. If you do take the prop off use a new pin each time The pins are prone to failure and the pin remnants can fall out.

Guess how I know :(

Jonathan
Useful tip - thank youi!

stranded

Visit site
Just for balance/comfort, our 3 blade has never hesitated to engage reverse - you wouldn’t know it is not a fiixed prop - in 10 years of use - hopefully you will be as lucky!

MattS

Visit site
Just for balance/comfort, our 3 blade has never hesitated to engage reverse - you wouldn’t know it is not a fiixed prop - in 10 years of use - hopefully you will be as lucky!
I have only done a couple of trips / berthing movements with the new 2 blade Gori, but I do feel like there is a bit of a nack. Certainly the first time it felt like it didn't open in astern immediately. I gave it a quick burst of ahead and that seemed to sort it out.

Need to do more tests!

stranded

Visit site
A Gori one on the prop nut like this (but Gori so about times the price!)

01022 - Tecnoseal Gori 3-Blade 15-16.5" Propeller Nut Anode 14072100

Plus a shaft anode.

[edit] Actually, I suppose two shaft anodes - one collar between the prop and the rope cutter, and one halfway up the shaft. I have the Darthaven service video if you want to see a horror movie about the intensity of what I believe was a coral worm infestation on the Dart last season - I understand there has been a big run on Trilux this spring![edit]

Last edited: