Good vid of Severn Bore yesterday

Allan

Visit site
A fantastic film, it is a shame that they had someone there commenting on barrage proposal and, yet again, giving ecologists a bad name. How does he think the power would be generated if they didn't plan to continue to let the water in and out? Yet another bit of mis-information from the BBC! Oops, rant over, great to see so many people enjoying the Bristol channel.
Allan

johnalison

Visit site
I'm probably the only person who feels a bit sad when natural wonders are overrun by people, a bit like hordes of tourists climbing Ayer's Rock or skidooing across Antarctica. Maybe the bore isn't quite on the same scale, but there was a time when people went just to watch the wave.

D

DogWatch

A fantastic film, it is a shame that they had someone there commenting on barrage proposal and, yet again, giving ecologists a bad name. How does he think the power would be generated if they didn't plan to continue to let the water in and out? Yet another bit of mis-information from the BBC! Oops, rant over, great to see so many people enjoying the Bristol channel.
Allan

The bbc didn't give mis-information, he asked the 'expert' a open question and received an answer which you didn't like.

Allan

Visit site
I understand your point and to some extent agree but on balance I love to see people enjoy the water and especially the Bristol channel. I would add, as long as they do no damage, which I don't believe the surfers do. The climbers and snowmobile riders you mention are a different matter.
Allan

Allan

Visit site
The bbc didn't give mis-information, he asked the 'expert' a open question and received an answer which you didn't like.
Yes you are quite correct. It's not that I don't like the answer, it is that it is so wrong. As someone who keeps his boat in Cardiff bay, the idea of building a barrage and stopping the water movement as said on the video, actually appeals to me. It is just the fact that the water would not be stopped, just delayed a little to allow enough difference to turn turbines. Otherwise how would power be generated?
Allan

Blueboatman

Visit site
A barrage would restrict the volume of water flowing at any one time, either inwards or out, thus the whole body of water will move slowly except at the point where it is allowed to whizz through the turbine bits.
As you know, slow moving or ''backed up'' water moving sluggishly along a shallow channel will not disturb the silt- whereas fast currents stir up everything and carry everything along with them in a kind of maelstrom, including eg silt and salmon. Which is why mussel beds are often to be found filter feeding on the seabeds inside strong tidal races.

I don't think one can engineer ( or perhaps one can ?) a barrage that will drive a turbine through height -of-water-differential without seriously restricting the size of the conduit at the barrage point through which all that tide has to pass.
Or are we talking about a Bristol Channel-wide paddle steamer type wheel that rotates gently at normal tidal flow rates ,but this would still be a hazard to surface navigation..

At least, that is how I understood his concerns and quite rightly imo.