Good old Rod

sailaboutvic

Visit site
What do we all want after a day sail ? For some it a bar with nice cool beer , others it a noisy town quay where they can people watch , for us it a quiet bay , where we can swim and drink our nice cool beers a and leave the world behind , so after a hard day sail and not knowing the area we reach out for our friend , Rod pilot book of Turkey with caution, Well we had one or two disagreement in the pass Rod and I ,
This time he writes " in the bay there several bungalow complexes around the shore . Shelter from the prevailing northerlies looks good " and you know what ? His right , it's very well protected and a nice anchor stuck in the middle of the pilot picture of the bay , we though we give it a go , its a shame he fail to say that all the building around the bay belong to the military and the whole bay has well has the bay South is a prohibited area , Although give him his dues , he did have a no anchor sign in the bay South
Well the skipper of the patrol boat did see the funny side of it , As my co skipper shouted out , ROD said it ok for us to anchor here ,she's thinking he prob won't understand her , he shouted back who HEIKELL ?
That one consolation , We not the first that try and anchor there .
God bless you Rod , you do give us a laugh now and then .

OK here an Edit to my posting .
90 % of the time Rod book are very good , plus there lots of info not connected with sailing and there are worth every penny . Sorry Rod if your reading this , but we both found this so funny that the skipper of the patrol boat know your name , I guessing others have shown him your book . :)

Last edited:

sailaboutvic

Visit site
It's the bay South of Eskifoca , Rod has it marked as bay 5 in his write up , If you look at the larger chart he has on his book ,it has an anchor in the bay but 1.4 nm further south there another bay mark as an prohibited area with an no anchoring sign ,
The patrol vessel was find I guess this happens a lot . Shame it a nice bay , there a holiday camp on the beach but the road leading in has big gates it looks like it could be for military personnel and family . In the entrance to the bay up on the hill there a watch tower , that should really been a warning signal that all may not be has it should .