Gluing carpet onto the inside of the hull

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
The disadvantage of PVA is that it has no 'grab'. In places where gravity is not on your side, the carpet will slide off before it cures, whereas with contact adhesive, the usual medium for this application, it will stay put, rather too well at times, when you have put up your piece of carpet with a wrinkle, or slightly misplaced?

Caraway

Visit site
Those aerosol tins of carpet adhesive are very good. They are a contact adhesive, but easy to use and stick like ... erm
Used with care you can offer the carpet into place early and allow yourself a bit of slide.

I have a 5 or 6 year old can and it still does the job.

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
Normally hull liners are NOT actually carpet, but a product like Frontrunner that is thin and conform better. Carpet is asking for perminant mildew, because it holds moisture and cannot be easily cleaned.
Frontrunner

It is applied with spray contact cement. 3M Super 77 is common, and now Gorilla makes a product.

2copplane

Visit site
Worth watching a few of the camper van conversion vids on YouTube, I especially like Combe Valley Campers. They use special stretchy carpet and spray adhesive and the results appear great, and I’m thinking of applying to my cabin lockers.

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
Normally hull liners are NOT actually carpet, but a product like Frontrunner that is thin and conform better. Carpet is asking for perminant mildew, because it holds moisture and cannot be easily cleaned.
Frontrunner

It is applied with spray contact cement. 3M Super 77 is common, and now Gorilla makes a product.
The OP mentions 'cord carpet' which sounds to me to be the type of material sold for lining camper vans.

jamie N

Visit site
Might gluing some velcro 'loop' in the forepeak, then gluing some velcro 'hook' onto the carpet at the suitable spots, also be a solution?

Rappey

Visit site
I used some cheap silicon to hold a bit of cord carpet in place. Can be easily peeled off again.

Bob_Ranft

Visit site
Whatever you use, make sure it is a high temperature adhesive. When cabin / hull sides get hot in direct sunlight, normal contact adhesives soften and whatever they are holding up - drops off. Check the temperature spec.

peteK

Visit site
When I relined in carpet I asked in a carpet shop and bought some adhesive which was excellent,enough grab but still could reposition ,no fumes and never dropped off and wasnt expensive.

Praxinoscope

Visit site
Might gluing some velcro 'loop' in the forepeak, then gluing some velcro 'hook' onto the carpet at the suitable spots, also be a solution?

I was thinking of trying this as I want to be able to take carpet up relatively easily to clean it.
You can get self adhesive Velcro so will see if it works.

Last edited:

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site

wallacebob

Visit site
eBay search for 4 way stretch carpet will find the correct high temp adhesive. That is the only product to use in boat. Exterior PVA glue is fine for ply panels. The 4 way carpet is fantastic stuff to use too. Very conformable, neat and if from a reputable supplier, non mould (I hope)

Caraway

Visit site
I was thinking of trying this as I want to be able to take carpet up relatively easily to clean it.
You can get self adhesive Velcro so will see if it works.
When you peel it off it usually brings the tabs attached to the grp off as well. The carpet can droop between them in use. Not impressed.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
eBay search for 4 way stretch carpet will find the correct high temp adhesive. That is the only product to use in boat. Exterior PVA glue is fine for ply panels. The 4 way carpet is fantastic stuff to use too. Very conformable, neat and if from a reputable supplier, non mould (I hope)

If you search around, it's also available with self adhesive backing, dearer but far less messy than spraying adhesive. If just asked for a sample of wheat colour from here - Red Self Adhesive | Automotive & Marine Carpet | Free Delivery (vanliningcarpet.co.uk)

I would also have problem taking aerosol glue to my boat by plane.