Glueing silicone

Neeves

Visit site
I am well aware of the problems of using silicone adhesives, once you use them it becomes difficult to have any other item adhered to where the silicone was applied.

I have strings of 12v LED lights, 4m long. They are impressively bright (I have no idea of longevity). The LEDs are 'set' into a long printed circuit and the circuit, 4m long by (about) 6mm wide are retained in a soft and sealed flexible silicone ribbon (like a flat tube). I want to adhere the string of lights in a fixed, internal, location. The 4m string allows me to almost light the whole of accomodation, double berth, galley or nav station, heads or further berth in one hull consuming 1 amp. They are impressively cheap.

What do I use as an adhesive?

In ignorance I made a test with Sikaflax, waste of time (and Sika). Minor tension and the flexible string peels off, cleanly.

I did a google search and it appears there are answers - but I thought to support google's comments with real life usage.

Jonathan

Neeves

Visit site
Those LED strips often come with self adhesive backing. We've got LED strips stuck inside aluminium channel with a diffuser type 'glass' on top. Search LED strip channel.
Ours simply came as a flexible, sealed, silicone 'flat tube' - no adhesive tape. The silicone tube/tape is really soft, like a silicone AF coating (or babies bottom).

I can see the advantage of the aluminium strip/channel but the silicone tape will enjoy no aggression and I'll try the 3M route, first, as it enjoyed a vote of appreciation from my skinny wallet.

Jonathan

Martin_J

Visit site
Might be easier if you're around other yachts to find some of the sailmakers double sided tape, the type that's used to join the fabric panels of sails and canopies (instead of pins) before they're stitched.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I made up a channel of 1 mm thick ABS with 2 sides glued on to make a channel that the LED strip would sit in

I then glued a 1 mm thick perspex to seal the LED inside with the wires sticking out one end

I used PVC glue to stick the ABS together and to stick the assembly under the shelf where I needed the light

I did the same inside all cupboards to allow lighting up the inside of the cupboards

Neeves

Visit site
Might be easier if you're around other yachts to find some of the sailmakers double sided tape, the type that's used to join the fabric panels of sails and canopies (instead of pins) before they're stitched.
Spinnaker tape would, should, be ideal - made for silicone (?) coated fabrics. North's Sydney loft is almost within walking distance - except its Friday night....:(

Jonathan

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
3M makes a doubleside tape for silicone. I've used it in industry installing gaskets, But it's ~ $100/roll. Regular VHB tape won't stick to silicone or other low energy plastics, such as PE, and even PVC is marginal.

Martin_J

Visit site
I stuck a couple of sets of red LED strips behind some shelf fronts back in 2013 and they're still there. I now recall that I just used red insulating tape neatly stuck on top right along the length, fully covering the led strip.

You say yours are bright.. For now you could try white insulating tape and just let the light shine through. In daytime you'll hardly notice they're there.

VicS

Visit site
What do I use as an adhesive?

In ignorance I made a test with Sikaflax, waste of time (and Sika). Minor tension and the flexible string peels off, cleanly.

Jonathan
I would have tried a silicone sealant or a hybrid such as CT1 or Stixall rather than a polyurethane.
What does your Google searching suggest?

Dellquay13

Boat at Milford Haven, Home in Chesterfield
Visit site
I sometimes have to install that LED tape for work and it usually has a 3m type adhesive tape pre-installed, and while it feels very silicone like, the fact that anything is sticking to it at the price point the LED tape is sold at points away from it needing adhesive at $100 a roll

Other threads that may be of interest